Lead in time recording 0 gap CDRs

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mvano

Lead in time recording 0 gap CDRs

Post by mvano »

Does anyone know whether AP is automatically inserting the Orange book mandated 2 second lead-in at the beginning of disks it burns in 0 gap mode?

If not, how can one insert it? It doesn't look like it can be done manually, since it's supposed to be 2 seconds of silent track 0, not track 1.

It LOOKS to me like the gap MAY be properly present (from the output of drutil), but I'd like confirmation for a project I'm finishing.

Drutil is a little vague on the subject - it shows Track 1 as starting at 2 seconds into the disk - I'm assuming that this means Amadeus has done the right thing, but need to know for sure.

thanks,

Mario

Sonic Purity

Re: Lead in time recording 0 gap CDRs

Post by Sonic Purity »

mvano wrote:Does anyone know whether AP is automatically inserting the Orange book mandated 2 second lead-in at the beginning of disks it burns in 0 gap mode?

If not, how can one insert it? It doesn't look like it can be done manually, since it's supposed to be 2 seconds of silent track 0, not track 1.

It LOOKS to me like the gap MAY be properly present (from the output of drutil), but I'd like confirmation for a project I'm finishing.

Drutil is a little vague on the subject - it shows Track 1 as starting at 2 seconds into the disk - I'm assuming that this means Amadeus has done the right thing, but need to know for sure.

thanks,

Mario
This isn't really going to help: i have not gone in and physically looked at the sectors. Nevertheless....

As you may well know, the 2 second lead-in is also part of the original Red Book specification. The OS X disc writing infrastructure has a history of high-compliance with Red Book... i believe i have read that it is capable of making fully Red Book compliant CD-R master discs (sorry, i don't have a source for this claim at hand).

Having no need to reinvent the wheel, AP is using this disc writing framework. I therefore conclude indirectly that the 2 sec. lead-in is indeed being properly written... for what little such an indirect conclusion is worth!
))Sonic((

mvano

Post by mvano »

Thanks for the info - I do appreciate your taking the time to reply.

A look at the documentation seemed to indicate that the current Apple OSX Disk Recording framework allows control of the low level write operation in many ways, including some that appear to allow tailoring the lead-in.

I'm not quite sure how Martin Hairer is using the these APIs to implement gapless recording - there are several possible ways to do so.

The Framework does the right thing if the options in question are NOT used, so I too would assume that AP is not doing something strange to override the default behavior - I'm just trying to get confirmation of that fact.

It would be reassuring to hear from Martin on the subject, or failing that, from someone who has submitted a disk for pressing and confirmed that there's no problem.

thanks again,

Mario