Sonogram misbehavior on OS X 10.13.6, AP 2.6.1

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

GregDunn

Post by GregDunn »

I was trying to see what the spectrum vs. time looked like on a few AAC encoded audio files today, and got some unexpected behavior from Amadeus Pro.

1) Opened AAC file (encoded by iTunes or by AP, no difference)
2) selected time range (about 20 sec. worth)
3) chose "Analyze->Sonogram"

First of all, this is a file with 44 KHz sample rate, and AP only shows spectrum up to 11 kHz. Second, when I resized the window and realized that the spectrum only displayed up to 11k, I thought maybe clicking the "play" icon on the spectrum window might cause it to refresh.

What happens is that the sample selection plays, but (a) can't be stopped by clicking the "stop" icon, (b) hangs AP with the beachball cursor. The sample completes playing but the UI remains unresponsive. I was only able to exit via Force Quit.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly, but I was able to replicate this behavior several times. The only unusual add-on I'm running in the OS is Default Folder X.

Dan Eickmeier via foru...

Post by Dan Eickmeier via foru... »

I can confirm this. I’m on Mojave here, 10.14, all the way updated to 10.14.6. AP totally hangs, when trying to stop playback in that sonogram window. I don’t have anything like default folder installed here.
On Aug 13, 2019, at 4:46 PM, GregDunn <forum2mail@hairersoft.com> wrote:

I was trying to see what the spectrum vs. time looked like on a few AAC encoded audio files today, and got some unexpected behavior from Amadeus Pro.

1) Opened AAC file (encoded by iTunes or by AP, no difference)
2) selected time range (about 20 sec. worth)
3) chose "Analyze->Sonogram"

First of all, this is a file with 44 KHz sample rate, and AP only shows spectrum up to 11 kHz. Second, when I resized the window and realized that the spectrum only displayed up to 11k, I thought maybe clicking the "play" icon on the spectrum window might cause it to refresh.

What happens is that the sample selection plays, but (a) can't be stopped by clicking the "stop" icon, (b) hangs AP with the beachball cursor. The sample completes playing but the UI remains unresponsive. I was only able to exit via Force Quit.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly, but I was able to replicate this behavior several times. The only unusual add-on I'm running in the OS is Default Folder X.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Dear Greg,
First of all, this is a file with 44 KHz sample rate, and AP only shows spectrum up to 11 kHz. Second, when I resized the window and realized that the spectrum only displayed up to 11k,
The maximal frequency can be set by clicking on the "gears" icon in the toolbar. By default it's half the actual maximum simply because there's rarely anything visibly interesting going on above 11k.
I thought maybe clicking the "play" icon on the spectrum window might cause it to refresh.
This is indeed a bug, the version at http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip should fix it. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

GregDunn

Post by GregDunn »

Wow - I get busy, come back and it's fixed already! Many thanks. It works fine now and I feel silly for not having seen the options menu on the spectrum windows. :( Once again, the only audio tool I ever need.