Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dither question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meezoid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Dither question Reply with quote

Hi, i've had a look in the manual and on this forum and can't find the answer to my question...

I have a bunch of 24 bit audio files which I am doing some processing with and then converting to 16 bit at the end. I'm using a 3rd Party plugin (an Audio Unit) to do some Mastering / Limiting,at the end of my processing chain, and as part of this I am applying some dither.

The way Amadeus handles this, it seems the plugin's render is done in-situ to the 24 bit file, so (I assume) we now have 16 bit dithered audio in a 24 bit float file.

My question is, if I now do a File > Save As and select 16 bit as the desired bit depth, does Amadeus automatically add dither again, in effect causing me to add dither twice?

I guess what I'm trying to work out is whether there is any point in adding dither with a 3rd party plugin during the Mastering / Limiting part of my audio processing, or if I should just leave everything in 24 bit and let Amadeus add dither when it saves, if indeed it does....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: