Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting bit rate, sample rate and such

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
broz



Joined: 08 Dec 2008
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Setting bit rate, sample rate and such Reply with quote

Using version 1.4.2 of AP, I create a new sound (File->New Sound...), but can't figure out how to set the sample rate a bit rate, according to the capability of my USB interface. I know about the thing in the bottom left corner of the window, but there used to be a dialog where you could ask the device what its capabilities are, and use that AND set the type of file etc.

Is there a way to set the "play thru" feature to be on by default? I always have to set that manually.

What happens when I set a higher rate than the device is capable? It's certainly possible with AP, but I don't know the consequences. Say the device can do 16bit/48kHz and I set AP to 24 bit/96kHz. What does that do? How does it affect the quality of sound?

Thanks! in advance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Martin Hairer
Site Admin


Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1615

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Setting bit rate, sample rate and such Reply with quote

Quote:
Using version 1.4.2 of AP, I create a new sound (File->New
Sound...), but can't figure out how to set the sample rate a bit
rate, according to the capability of my USB interface. I know about
the thing in the bottom left corner of the window, but there used to
be a dialog where you could ask the device what its capabilities
are, and use that AND set the type of file etc.

In the "Record to New File" dialog, it shows what sample rate the
hardware uses.

Quote:
Is there a way to set the "play thru" feature to be on by default? I
always have to set that manually.

It is supposed to remember its last state. I'll check on that...

Quote:
What happens when I set a higher rate than the device is capable?
It's certainly possible with AP, but I don't know the consequences.
Say the device can do 16bit/48kHz and I set AP to 24 bit/96kHz. What
does that do? How does it affect the quality of sound?

It will upsample the sound. It shouldn't affect the quality, but it
will just create a needlessly large file... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/


_______________________________________________
Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group