Cut Out Noise At The Beginning And End Of A Sound File

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Carl

Cut Out Noise At The Beginning And End Of A Sound File

Post by Carl »

Hi Mr. Hairer,

I am an Amadeus Pro ultra-beginner. Creating and saving a sound file was a breeze and it was fast. Playing back my sound file was a breeze. Also, I think Amadeus Pro is easier, faster and more efficient than GoldWave. I do have a problem and a complaint. It is not a software issue. It is your user reference guide. Who is the guide geared to? Beginners? Intermediates? Advanced?

First, the questions I will raise are about sound editing vocabulary words whose function and meaning are not clear to me. Second, Sound Editing 101 - "Cut Out Noise at the Beginning and End of a Sound File" is a simple how-to edit, that is nowhere to be found. Why is that important to me?

I am converting my 45 r.p.m. vinyl singles to sound files. All I want to do is Cut Out, or Edit Out, the noise at the beginning and end of each record.

As you will discover by the following lame-o questions, I have no idea how to do this. The user reference guide offered no help, other than, "...the basic editing functions.../Cut/Delete/ work...the same way as in any text...or image editor..." (5.2 Basic editing, page ). That may be true. I can do those editing functions in text. That doesn't mean I know how or when to use them properly in sound editing.

What gets highlighted and how is it done? Do I use the vertical RED cursor, the GREEN playback head, or markers? What's the first step? 2nd Step? Third step? etc.

What is the purpose or function of the RED cursor? When is it used? Is the Red cursor also known as the insertion point? In Selection, page 8, "...an insertion point is drawn in red..."

I know what an insertion point looks like in text. I don't know what an insertion point looks like in Amadeus Pro.

I do know the purpose of the GREEN playback head as explained on page 8.

Unfortunately, the user reference guide for v1.3.3 was not designed for me and the other sound editing "illiteratti." I mean no disrespect Mr.Hairer but that user reference guide is awful. Amadeus Pro may be the Swiss Army knife of sound editing, but I was never in anybody's army.

Respectfully yours,

Carl

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

Look at the wave image when you have made your recording. You can use command-G to zoom in for a closer look, and the scroll bar underneath to move around. Click and hold in the waveform at the point where you can see the sound should start. Drag the mouse back to the beginning to highlight that part of the track, Hit the delete (backspace) key. Same process at the end, dragging the mouse from the end of the wanted sound to the end of the recording.