Unexpected CD Tracks

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Sonic Purity

Unexpected CD Tracks

Post by Sonic Purity »

In the process of attempting to test index point support in Amadeus Pro 1.4 beta, i am working with CD writing from within AP for just about the first time, and getting highly unexpected results in terms of how the tracks on the CD are marked... at least to me. (The following discussion is all about routine CD burning, nothing to do with extra index points.)

My source file is a stereo 44.1 kHz 16 bit audio file in AP's native format. It has 8 songs, intended to be 8 CD tracks. There are varying amounts of silence between each song, averaging 6-7 seconds. The beginning of each track is marked with a magenta marker, including the very beginning of the file (song/track 1). The end of each track is marked with a black marker, including the very end of the file (end of song/track 8 ). (There are also some blue markers within most songs, for index point testing.) The silences lie from the black marker marking the end of the current track to the magenta marker marking the beginning of the following track.

In AP's burn settings window, Start Color is Magenta. End Color is Black. Consider all markers is unchecked. Gaps is set to 0 seconds.

The CD burns just fine, yet problems appear when it is played back:

Track 1 in the file is gone, totally.
Track 1 on the CD starts with Track 2 from the file, though not really: it actually starts with the black marker for the end of what was track 1 in the file.
Similarly, Track 2 on the CD is actually Track 3 from the file, and again starts with the blank space, as if AP is using the black marker for start instead of the magenta marker.
This process repeats until CD Track 8, which is 6 seconds of silence.

Expected behavior:
Each CD track starts at the magenta marker and ends at the next black marker (as i selected in the AP burn settings). The silence areas from the ending song's black marker to the next song's magenta marker should be written to the CD technically as Index 0, which shows up as negative time counting down to 0:00, which is the next magenta marker (next track marker).

By writing this post, i have two goals:

1) Seeking to understand how AP presently expects files to be marked for writing out CDs.
2) A feature request that in the future AP behave as described above for expected behavior, unless others here point out reasons why doing so would be a bad idea.

I look forward to further discussion of this topic.
(I'll be offline for 24-36 hours.)
))Sonic((

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Unexpected CD Tracks

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi Sonic,
Each CD track starts at the magenta marker and ends at the next
black marker (as i selected in the AP burn settings). The silence
areas from the ending song's black marker to the next song's magenta
marker should be written to the CD technically as Index 0, which
shows up as negative time counting down to 0:00, which is the next
magenta marker (next track marker).
Actually, expected behaviour is as you state for track delimitation,
but the silence gap will be the one set in the burning window, not the
one determined by the file. I'll try to reproduce that problem and
I'll get back to you. Maybe I screwed something up when I implemented
the index points (as I said I didn't test that bit at all yet)...
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/