enable it) and to make it controllable from the GUI in some future
release. Regards,
How does this feature manifest itself at the playback level, on those
devices enabled to interpret it?

--Phil M.

Sonic Purity

Re: index points

Post by Sonic Purity »

pm@philxmilstein.com wrote: How does this feature manifest itself at the playback level, on those
devices enabled to interpret it?

--Phil M.
Do you mean index points? I'll assume so.

Standard audio CD players, when they (wisely) implement index points, can do so in at least two levels. One is display only, the other is display + control.

Display only models add an additional numeric indicator in their display, usually next to the track indicator and usually smaller. For CDs lacking additional index points, this index point indicator is forever displaying "1", as every CD track has at least index point 1. In negative-count pauses (a.k.a. inter-track gaps), the index is 0, and this too can be commonly seen on audio CDs lacking additional index points. For CDs actually using the index point concept, with index points 2, 3, etc., these numbers show up on the display when that point is reached. A numeric marker, in a sense. Note that i wrote "additional": all Red Book CDs have at least Index 1 for each actual track, and Index 0 if the previous track end mark occurs before the next track's start mark.

Display only models are better than nothing, yet the original intent and preferred implementation is display + controls. These models have displays as described above, plus some means to access (jump to) index points (greater than 1). The original Sony and Philips implementations had a pair of buttons, like the familiar track jump buttons, yet with different icons (standard arrows with the bottom half of the arrowhead cut off) and sometimes smaller. Other implementations, not wanting the cost of the extra switches, buried the feature in a way where it could be invoked via a modifier key (my memory of this is fuzzy... my players are of the first type described). With this full implementation, the user could jump directly to marked points of interest within a track... points which in and of themselves may be of interest, yet not worthy of being a separate track.

Between infrequent implementation of additional index points on CDs (too many labels still figuring out the medium) and cost pressures for player manufacturers, full support for index points faded all too soon. Yet for those of us with appropriately-equipped players, many of us find the (additional) index point feature invaluable. Players which lack index point support do nothing different... the CD acts as if it had no (additional) index points, or as though (additional) index points did not exist.
))Sonic((

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

index points

Post by Martin Hairer »

For the record, I believe that the current version at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip
fixes the bug whereby track location can be messed up. It should
support index points, but they first have to be turned on by typing

defaults write com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro HSCreateIndexPoints 1

in the Terminal. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/