Repairing all cracks and pops

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

JR

Repairing all cracks and pops

Post by JR »

Is there a way to repair all cracks using Amadeus pro like there is in Amadeus II? If not, is there an automated sequence that can be used (other than the keyboard shortcuts) to speed the process?

ezlxq1949

Post by ezlxq1949 »

If you've got a lot of declicking to do, I strongly suggest that you look at ClickRepair. (Google finds it easily.) It does an amazingly good job at a small price, much better than Martin's interpolator (sorry Martin) and much better than Izotope's RX. ClickRepair can repair hundreds of clicks in much less than real time.

And no, I have no connection with ClickRepair except as a very pleased user.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

I can only second the recommendation of ClickRepair. It has its quirks and the interface is a bit, well, strange, but the results are great.

dnr16

Post by dnr16 »

I'll add my voice to the recommendations for ClickRepair. I'm transferring classical 78s to CD and Martin's Repair Centre just didn't give me enough sensitivity (sorry Martin - it took me an hour of manual removal to clean up 2 secs of 78 crackle even after I'd been through at maximum sensitivity) - came onto this forum to ask if there was a way to tweak Repair Centre, and found this thread.

My internal jury is still out on the sister software to ClickRepair, i.e. DeNoise. ClickRepair seemed fairly foolproof at default settings but DeNoise gave me a lot of signal distortion - probably needs more trial and error on my part.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

dnr16 wrote:but DeNoise gave me a lot of signal distortion - probably needs more trial and error on my part.
DeNoise is just as good as CR, but you can't expect wonders. Its manual describes the dilemma on page 33: it's always a compromise of reducing the noise level vs. affecting the actual sound.

The best way is to sample the noise (i.e. when recording, you leave a few seconds of plain noise at the beginning of the recording), then you "abort" and restart the denoise process while keeping the previously sampled setting. You can then fine tweak and repeatedly abort/restart until you're satisfied. Then you can process the whole file.