Newbie question re equence of post-capture processing steps

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

libssd

Post by libssd »

I just started using Amadeus Pro today for converting LPs to digital, so I have a basic newbie question. I'm using line input from a Technics turntable; with the gain set to maximum, I typically see no higher than about 20% on the green level bars. On test recordings, I find that amplify 20db gives me a decent level.

My question: Does the sequence of post capture processing steps have any affect the final result? For example:

Amplify, RIAA, Denoise
Denoise, Amplify, RIAA
RIAA, Amplify, Denoise
etc.

If sequence matters, what is recommended?

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

I assume you are connecting the output from the turntable to the line
input of the computer. Just off the top of my head, I would think
needing only 20dB gain would suggest to me that there is a pre-amp in
the system somewhere and thus it isn't clear to me that one would want
an RIAA equalization. (I may be all wrong in this).

Also, make sure that you don't over-amplify -- 20 dB gain should be
about a a factor of 10 in voltage, which would seem a little much for a
signal that is 20%.
Chuck

libssd wrote:
I just started using Amadeus Pro today for converting LPs to digital, so I have a basic newbie question. I'm using line input from a Technics turntable; with the gain set to maximum, I typically see no higher than about 20% on the green level bars. On test recordings, I find that amplify 20db gives me a decent level.

My question: Does the sequence of post capture processing steps have any affect the final result? For example:

Amplify, RIAA, Denoise
Denoise, Amplify, RIAA
RIAA, Amplify, Denoise
etc.

If sequence matters, what is recommended?

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

libssd

Post by libssd »

I hadn't yet experimented with the normalize function, but, based on waveform amplitude, it generates just about exactly the same amount of amplification that I was choosing manually, and peaks are staying within the 50% range of the display.

But, I'm still left with my original question re sequence of steps. It's all digital, so I wouldn't think it does, but I defer to those with more experience.

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

I hadn't yet experimented with the normalize function, but, based on waveform amplitude, it generates just about exactly the same amount of amplification that I was choosing manually, and peaks are staying within the 50% range of the display.

But, I'm still left with my original question re sequence of steps. It's all digital, so I wouldn't think it does, but I defer to those with more experience.
It is a question I have also wondered about.
In my limited experience there is no audible difference unless one of the steps introduces distortion.
Any audio experts having an opinion on this?
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081