I don't get "AAC (bookmarkable)"

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mitchellm

Post by mitchellm »

You're right! Saving as bookmarkable saves as M4A instead of M4B. I'd love to create M4B files, if possible.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

I don't get "AAC (bookmarkable)"

Post by Martin Hairer »

You're right! Saving as bookmarkable saves as M4A instead of M4B.
I'd love to create M4B files, if possible.
Except for the name extension, there is no difference between m4a and
m4b files... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

mitchellm

Post by mitchellm »

Martin: There's a huge difference between m4a and m4b files. Really, really, really. There may not be a difference in the actual audio compression, but m4b files are "audiobooks" which primarily means you can have chapters in your recording. In fact, m4b files allow you to associate images with each chapter as well. And m4b files are read by iTunes as audiobooks, instead of music, and are put in the special "audiobooks" folder in iTunes. So, for most, m4b=chapters.

pusteblume08: Although this is not the answer you want, AudiobookBuilder is a cheap Mac program for creating audiobooks (less than $10). You can use this program in tandem with Amadeus.

mike.sorice

Post by mike.sorice »

Audiobook Builder (AB,) which is excellent software, can do the conversion, joining, and chapter-making for you: unless you have some need to do other audio editing, there's no need to use Amadeus Pro (AP) at all in this case. If you do need to do editing, you can edit whatever files you've got with AP, then output the files un-joined in their original format*, then have AB convert, join, and mark chapters. That should be no slower than if AP converted, joined, and marked chapters itself, unless the former is significantly faster at converting or joining (if that's the case, I haven't noticed it.)
So, in conclusion, you can use AP and AB in tandem to create a solution that should be as fast as anything else would be. Of course, that solution is somewhat less convenient and more expensive than if AP did everything, since you have to buy and use AB... but unless our host is going to add chapter functionality (which would be nice, to be sure, but I'm not complaining too much,) that's probably your best bet.

M

*Unless it's something weird AB can't read: it reads everything I've been interested in so far, including mp3, m4a/m4b, etc. but if it's something weird, I guess you have to pre-convert with AP or something.

PS: One thing I'd like to warn anyone reading this thread away from doing is buying the script JoinTogether, which has chapter-marking functionality in its registered version. That script only handles m4a input (so you've got to pre-convert if you have mp3's or ogg's or whatever,) fails through infinite loop very frequently for no apparent reason, has very poor pass-through functionality so that conversion takes forever even when it does work, and systematically fails to join files when the joined file is over two hours (almost every book I'm interested in is.) To me, it's criminal that such a poor product is offered for sale and advertised for use with audiobooks.

Kerryling

Post by Kerryling »

No matter for which audio files you like, you can use Audiobook Converter for Mac to convert them to wanted files. If your audiobooks are purchased from iTunes and Audible.com, you can use this software to remove DRM from them and convert them to MP3, AAC, M4A, M4B and others with ease.
Kerryling

Kerryling

Audiobooks

Post by Kerryling »

No matter for which audio files you like, you can use Audiobook Converter for Mac to convert them to wanted files. If your audiobooks are purchased from iTunes and Audible.com, you can use this software to remove DRM from them and convert them to MP3, AAC, M4A, M4B and others with ease.
Kerryling

Agnes

Re:Convert Audio to the MP3 format

Post by Agnes »

Hi, did you find the method to convert Audible M4A files to MP3? I have confronted a similar problem ever. Now, I convert all my audio from MA4 to MP3 with AudFree Audio converter, it is the best tool for me to convert audio format. Hope it's helpful for you.

lilahcosta

Post by lilahcosta »

have you got the solution?