Avoiding MP3 track/marker hiccups (OK, "hiccoughs"

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

IrlSmith

Post by IrlSmith »

I'm using Amadeus to make an mp3 CD of a 2-hour radio broadcast (no podcast is available) for me to listen to in my car. I'd like to add markers every 5 minutes or so for convenience. I tried adding regularly spaced markers, splitting at markers, and then saving as mp3 (which I then burn using iTunes).
Two questions:
• Because of the mp3 deadtime at track begin/end, there is a little hiccup, which can occur at an unfortunate time. Is there a way to make markers which can be skipped to, like tracks, but which don't require a codec restart (or whatever you call that dead time)? In other words, to let the mp3 be continuous but still have markers one can skip to.
• Saving mp3 is pretty slow. (I haven't upgraded to pro yet). If I save as AIFF, then use iTunes to export the mp3's, will that be faster? will I be able to avoid the hiccups?
Sorry about the newbie questions!
Irl

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Question: are you burning an audio CD? If so, just split using markers
and burn that way.

I think that if you go through mp3s, you are stuck. You might try
setting markers by looking for silent sections (generate markers - on
silence and adjust the time and level to get a number that you like.
They wouldn't be even but they would make it possible to split the
tracks there so that the mp3 hiccups would not be very obvious.

Chuck

IrlSmith wrote:
I'm using Amadeus to make an mp3 CD of a 2-hour radio broadcast (no podcast is available) for me to listen to in my car. I'd like to add markers every 5 minutes or so for convenience. I tried adding regularly spaced markers, splitting at markers, and then saving as mp3 (which I then burn using iTunes).
Two questions:
• Because of the mp3 deadtime at track begin/end, there is a little hiccup, which can occur at an unfortunate time. Is there a way to make markers which can be skipped to, like tracks, but which don't require a codec restart (or whatever you call that dead time)? In other words, to let the mp3 be continuous but still have markers one can skip to.
• Saving mp3 is pretty slow. (I haven't upgraded to pro yet). If I save as AIFF, then use iTunes to export the mp3's, will that be faster? will I be able to avoid the hiccups?
Irl

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

I have no experience with it, but audiobooks are supposed to remember where you stopped last time.
Audiobook is a special version of mp3 - afaik.

regards
Two questions:
ï Because of the mp3 deadtime at track begin/end, there is a little hiccup, which can occur at an unfortunate time. Is there a way to make markers which can be skipped to, like tracks, but which don't require a codec restart (or whatever you call that dead time)? In other words, to let the mp3 be continuous but still have markers one can skip to.
ï Saving mp3 is pretty slow. (I haven't upgraded to pro yet). If I save as AIFF, then use iTunes to export the mp3's, will that be faster? will I be able to avoid the hiccups?
Irl
--
______________________ _
Gerard Bik grafische vormgeving
Van Aerssenstraat 263
2582 JM Den Haag
070 3554081

IrlSmith

Post by IrlSmith »

The broadcast is too long to fit on one CD (not that that's a terrible problem, I guess). I think I'll go with the split-on-silence suggestion; thanks for that. I had actually run through the track with that feature, but I had it set too selectively to find anything except the very beginning and very end of the broadcast.