Very odd CD burn

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

rpitcairn

Very odd CD burn

Post by rpitcairn »

I have AIFF sound tracks, already edited and used before, and opened them today to burn some more CD's. Ran the first one at "maximum possible speed" which is 24x. Seemed to go all right, then at end, disk ejected and message that there was an error and that the device did not respond.
I am not sure what this means but if it refers to the optical drive, what comes up on my iMac is this message (during burn):
Burning to the Matshita DVD-R UJ-845 drive.

I haven't had any other trouble with this drive so don't know.
I put the "error" disk in a CD player and it sounded all right at least at the beginning of the track. Put it into my MacBook and it opened in iTunes titled "Best of Bon Jovi". Have no idea where that came from as the title of my track quite different.
Tried to import into iTunes and iTunes froze and had to be force quit.
Does this make sense to anyone else?

Thanks,
Richard

rpitcairn

Post by rpitcairn »

Just did the same with a second disk, now it is entitled "Live-Act Set" even though I went into metadata and put the disk info in. I don't know where the name "Live-Act set" comes from.

CDJonah_alt

Very odd CD burn

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Did the second disk burn okay?

I think the info you are getting comes from the CDDB data base -- I
almost always get silly things in the Itunes read when I burn a CD with
my own tracks. I Itunes tries to match the times on the disk with some
disk that is in the data base. (note that this is my suspicion and I
don't really know for sure).

Chuck

rpitcairn wrote:
Just did the same with a second disk, now it is entitled "Live-Act Set" even though I went into metadata and put the disk info in. I don't know where the name "Live-Act set" comes from.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Sonic Purity

Re: Very odd CD burn

Post by Sonic Purity »

CDJonah_alt wrote:I think the info you are getting comes from the CDDB data base -- I
almost always get silly things in the Itunes read when I burn a CD with
my own tracks. I Itunes tries to match the times on the disk with some
disk that is in the data base. (note that this is my suspicion and I
don't really know for sure).
Pretty much yes. My understanding is that iTunes calls Gracenote (formerly CDDB) and Gracenote attempts to match exact disc and track timing down to the CD sector level, and number of tracks. The fewer the number of tracks, the greater the odds of a bogus returned result, as fewer data points need to agree for a match. Best for home-recorded custom CDs to (at least temporarily) disable Gracenote lookups in the iTunes preferences, so one’s hand-typed information will not be overwritten (though that information is not going to travel with the CD for a standard CD-DA audio CD).
))Sonic((

rpitcairn

Post by rpitcairn »

Do you mean that when I am burning a CD in AP, that it is looking up info in iTunes? I just put in a master disk I made some time ago and when it mounts in the Finder, it has one of these strange names. I am really confused by it.

Sonic Purity

Post by Sonic Purity »

rpitcairn wrote:Do you mean that when I am burning a CD in AP, that it is looking up info in iTunes? I just put in a master disk I made some time ago and when it mounts in the Finder, it has one of these strange names. I am really confused by it.
I have not yet burned a CD from within AP, yet i doubt AP is involved. In Mac OS X, audio CDs are handed off to iTunes, and that is where these lookups are happening. I believe the same database is checked when the Finder sees an audio CD, so if iTunes or anything else which checks with Gracenote has ever touched the CD and done the lookup, that (mistaken) information will be tied to that CD until that information is cleared from the OS-wide database. Not having needed to do this myself yet, i have no idea if or how single items can be cleared from that database.
))Sonic((

rpitcairn

Post by rpitcairn »

That makes sense to me. I can try turning off the Gracenote function and see perhaps. Up to this point, in AP I checked off the option of writing the text (title, etc.) and at least it does not put up a strange title but just calls them all "audio CD". You would think that since I put in titles and other info that it would somehow get written but so far is not.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Sonic Purity

Post by Sonic Purity »

rpitcairn wrote:You would think that since I put in titles and other info that it would somehow get written but so far is not.

Thanks for your help.

Richard
Glad to help when i can.

Actually, i would not expect the information you typed in to get written anywhere on a standard audio CD because the CD-DA format has no provision for it. Remember, that format dates from 1982, before people realized that text meta data would someday be important. CD-TEXT was an attempt to tack on basic metadata to the CD-DA format, yet because there are two competing and apparently incompatible standards, it only sometimes works.

If you have enabled CD-Text in Amadeus Pro, it is being written to your standard audio CDs made by AP. Whether the equipment you have can read it is another matter. Mac OS and everything i have seen that works on it does not even try to read CD-Text, hence you get the generic Audio CD. Stand-alone home and auto CD and DVD players with sufficiently sophisticated displays may have CD-Text, and if they have the standard Amadeus uses (which i believe is determined by what Apple chose for their underlying CD writing code), you will see your text. If the player uses the other CD-Text standard, you will see nothing, as if the disc had no CD-Text at all.
))Sonic((

rpitcairn

Post by rpitcairn »

Thanks for the explanation. May I ask then this question? When making a CD from AP, is it possible that there can be settings that will then name the CD as it is being burned? Sounds like not.
If not, then should I first name the blank CD that I have inserted, and then burn it from AP?

Richard

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Very odd CD burn

Post by Martin Hairer »

When making a CD from AP, is it possible that there can be settings
that will then name the CD as it is being burned? Sounds like not.
Unfortunately, there is nothing like the "name" of an Audio CD.
Amadeus Pro can generate CD-TEXT data, but as Sonic rightly pointed
out, this is not recognised by MacOS X in general and iTunes in
particular.
If not, then should I first name the blank CD that I have inserted,
and then burn it from AP?
That would probably be a bad idea.

Coming back to your original problem, one guess is that the capacity
of your CD is too small. Try the version at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip
, it should give an error message before attempting the burn if this
is the case. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/