Moving multiple tracks together?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

scottnicholson

Post by scottnicholson »

I am using Amadeus Pro to edit a podcast, which is made up of many small segments. Each segment is in its own track.

I want to insert something earlier into the podcast, and want to move the content of a number of tracks together so that the timing between them is maintained. Most of the tracks do not overlap at all.

Is there a way to select multiple tracks and move them together?

(I did search through the manual, but the section on Moving Tracks doesn't discuss this.)

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Is there a way to select multiple tracks and move them together?
You probably want to use the "Join Files" function in the "Sound"
menu. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

scottnicholson

Post by scottnicholson »

Let me try to ask my question in a different way, as Join files isn't what I'm looking for.

I have been editing a podcast with many different segments, submitted by different people. I Open each one, clean it up, and then copy and paste it into a new track on the timeline.

Each audio segment is in a different track. Sometimes, I have music that fades in and out between each segment, and that music will overlap with the tracks.

A lot of the work is sliding the tracks left or right so that the timing is correct so that as one segment finishes, the music comes up and goes down, and the next segment begins over the music.

I then find something that I want to insert earlier in the podcast. For example, I might do an introduction that I don't actually record until after editing the rest of the podcast.

So, now I have a project open with 10 different tracks. On each track is a short segment that is positioned properly relative to the other segments.

I would like to insert a new segment near the beginning.

One way would be to manually slide each segment down. But that is not easy, as I want to maintain the relative positive of the segments.

In Garage Band, Final Cut, and other tools, I can select multiple segments and move them down the timeline together. That way, the relative distance between them is the same, and then I can add a new track with a new segment in the right position.

Is there a way to select multiple segments, each on a different track, and move them left or right on the timeline together so that it maintains the timing of these tracks?

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

My solution would be to insert silence at the beginning of each track Effects> Generate Silence.
You would have to do it again for each track, but the amount of inserted silence is remembered.

gerards regards

Let me try to ask my question in a different way, as Join files isn't what I'm looking for.

I have been editing a podcast with many different segments, submitted by different people. I Open each one, clean it up, and then copy and paste it into a new track on the timeline.

Each audio segment is in a different track. Sometimes, I have music that fades in and out between each segment, and that music will overlap with the tracks.

A lot of the work is sliding the tracks left or right so that the timing is correct so that as one segment finishes, the music comes up and goes down, and the next segment begins over the music.

I then find something that I want to insert earlier in the podcast. For example, I might do an introduction that I don't actually record until after editing the rest of the podcast.

So, now I have a project open with 10 different tracks. On each track is a short segment that is positioned properly relative to the other segments.

I would like to insert a new segment near the beginning.

One way would be to manually slide each segment down. But that is not easy, as I want to maintain the relative positive of the segments.

In Garage Band, Final Cut, and other tools, I can select multiple segments and move them down the timeline together. That way, the relative distance between them is the same, and then I can add a new track with a new segment in the right position.

Is there a way to select multiple segments, each on a different track, and move them left or right on the timeline together so that it maintains the timing of these tracks?

--

ayashko

Post by ayashko »

This would be invaluable to me as well–consider this a feature request :)

I work mainly as a documentary photographer, and have recently started field recording interviews/ambient sound to incorporate into my work. My workflow is similar to Scott's above ie; many (Many!) small takes, and editing them together, and I've repeatedly run into the same issues as him. It would be fantastic to be be able to grab a whole heap of tracks and shift them forwards or backwards along the timeline…

Does anyone else have any other techniques to achieve this? I looked but have not found anything…

Cheers

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

I agree it would be a feature worth having: I should also like to see files which are dragged into the window placed where the playhead is rather than the beginning of the track (or have it as an option): this and the multiple-select-and-move are really essential once you start trying to handle more than a very few clips in multitrack work.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

scottnicholson wrote:In Garage Band, Final Cut, and other tools, I can select multiple segments and move them down the timeline together. That way, the relative distance between them is the same, and then I can add a new track with a new segment in the right position.
Why not move the project to GarageBand then? That's what this kind of application is for, after all, and it's already on your hard drive.
I for one don't mind that Amadeus can't do the same tricks like a sequencer. That's what I use Logic Express for.
I'd rather see Amadeus becoming more powerful at editing audio data as such... :)

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

Lou Kash wrote:Why not move the project to GarageBand then?
Well of course one can do that, though GB is useless for doing fine editing. Indeed I use Cubase LE to assemble my podcast as it includes an on-screen mixer with full automation: but it would be nice not to have to move around between programs - particularly as if you want to finish up with an MP3 and you're using GB (at least the version I have) then you have to move back to Amadeus, or use iTunes.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

rfwilmut wrote:Well of course one can do that, though GB is useless for doing fine editing. [...] but it would be nice not to have to move around between programs
You're absolutely right on that, of course...
I didn't check it out yet (neither in GB nor in Logic and I don't know about Cubase although I likely should have an OEM version on a driver CD) but isn't it possible to set an external audio editor, similarly like you can choose Photoshop to be you external image editor in iPhoto?

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

Lou Kash wrote:...isn't it possible to set an external audio editor, similarly like you can choose Photoshop to be you external image editor in iPhoto?
Not in GB, which is after all intended for simple use: it's remarkably powerful for what it is, but though you can edit chunks out of a clip it's very clumsy. It's also very slow, and drawing automated fades etc. is tricky because the working area is so small. Cubase LE is better: if you double-click a clip it opens it in a new window for editing in the usual way: also the mixer is very useful (see http://homepage.mac.com/rfwilmut/photo/2006/1208.html).

But the real point is that Amadeus Pro really is a very nice program, powerful and flexible but quite easy to use, and those of us who are fans of it would like to see the odd improvement to make it even better. My wish list, as partly already mentioned, is:

Clips dropped in snap to the playhead position
Multiple select and move clips
If possible, more than one clip on a track (so that links in a podcast would all be on one track).
A wider level meter with proper level calibration.

Martin very possibly feels he has other priorities.

ayashko

Post by ayashko »

Martin, do you think that some of these would be possible to include in future releases?

Cheers