Why does playback sound different in iTunes and Amadeus?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

davidmorgenstern

Why does playback sound different in iTunes and Amadeus?

Post by davidmorgenstern »

I record something and it sounds fine when I play it in Amadeus. But when I drop it into iTunes, then I hear a bunch of blowouts on various notes and sections. I guess those are gain issues? Or what?

What can I do?

David m.
David Morgenstern
Blogger at ZDNet's <a>The Apple Core</a>

Sonic Purity

Re: Why does playback sound different in iTunes and Amadeus?

Post by Sonic Purity »

davidmorgenstern wrote:I record something and it sounds fine when I play it in Amadeus. But when I drop it into iTunes, then I hear a bunch of blowouts on various notes and sections. I guess those are gain issues? Or what?

What can I do?

David m.
Probably gain issues, and almost certainly in iTunes, as there are plenty of built-in and add-on items that will manipulate the sound, and not all of them may be smart about doing so. Investigate Sound Enhancer (Preferences > Playback): turn Off if it is On (at least temporarily). Check the Equalizer settings, especially the Preamp (overall level) slider. If you use the EQ, try turning Preamp down. Finally, check if iTunes is altering the level for that file by checking Volume Adjustment in Get Info > Options.

You could also get a “second opinion” by playing the recording in QuickTime Player, which will have fewer sound diddling features (yet still has some in the A/V Controls) and should be using most of the same OS pieces as iTunes for sound playback.
))Sonic((