dpepper

Input level is low in AmadeusPro, but OK with Garage Band

Post by dpepper »

My setup:
Stanton digital turntable STR8-80
M-Audio Firewire solo, digital in, firewire out
Firewire into iMac, 10.5.2
M-audio control panel set to Firewire SPDIF in, and

Sound preferences set to FireWire Solo Multichannel Firewire input, and the same on output.

As the LP plays, I can see the green bars bouncing in the 'SPDIF in' on the Firewire control panel, and can see the green bars bouncing under the 1/2 moxer output bus.

If I open garage band, it records it fine, with adequate line input (ie, garage band green bars bouncing up, with the rare quick red dot).

However, when I open amadeus, and select "Record to New File", and start the record, and hit the record button, I can hear the music fine from my speakers, but the green bars on the amadeus 'Sound Recorder' window barely show, and the gain is all the way to the right (and locked channels).

I can't figure this out, since everything else is the same, and Garage Band opens it and the line strength is ok, but in Amadeus it isn't.

I have read the manual, and the forum, and spoke with M-audio (they helped me with the m-audio control settings--one bug is that I need to change the clock to external when recording the lps, but back to internal when playing the recordings back). I am not sophisticated in this at all, and don't know what to do. I would prefer recording in Amadeus, then making mp4s later for itunes (per the manual).

Any help?

thanks,

Daniel

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Sound preferences set to FireWire Solo Multichannel Firewire input,
and the same on output.
Are you positive that you have also set the *Amadeus* preferences to
the correct input?
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

dpepper

Post by dpepper »

Well, yes, I think so. The m-audio control panel has 3 options:
1 Firewire Solo S/PDIF 1/2

2. Firewire Solo Analog 1/2

3. Firewire Solo Multichannel

The support guy from m-audio, when I told him that I couldn't see any input signals in Garage band, had me set them all to Firewire Solo Multichannel. Currently, that is the setting for the Amadeus Pro preferences.

However, I just got it to work by clicking on the quality button of the Sound Recorder window, and selecting: Channel Configuration/Stereo Back. Great news. Now, I just need to record. My R channel shows more input, with a tendency to yellow showing. Should I adjust something, or is this OK? If it is always one channel, does that imply something to do with my turntable cartridge?

Thanks for your help. I'm excited to get started (I first emailed you re: Amadeus 1 or 2 when I tried this with previous hardware/OS versions)

Daniel Pepper

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Try reversing the leads from the turntable -- if the L channel gives you
the same effect, it is your cartridge.

Chuck

dpepper wrote:
Well, yes, I think so. The m-audio control panel has 3 options:
1 Firewire Solo S/PDIF 1/2

2. Firewire Solo Analog 1/2

3. Firewire Solo Multichannel

The support guy from m-audio, when I told him that I couldn't see any input signals in Garage band, had me set them all to Firewire Solo Multichannel. Currently, that is the setting for the Amadeus Pro preferences.

However, I just got it to work by clicking on the quality button of the Sound Recorder window, and selecting: Channel Configuration/Stereo Back. Great news. Now, I just need to record. My R channel shows more input, with a tendency to yellow showing. Should I adjust something, or is this OK? If it is always one channel, does that imply something to do with my turntable cartridge?

Thanks for your help. I'm excited to get started (I first emailed you re: Amadeus 1 or 2 when I tried this with previous hardware/OS versions)

Daniel Pepper

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

Jim Harrod

A Tip

Post by Jim Harrod »

I thought I would share a solution with others on the list. I have
several turntables and an older one that I use for 16" transcription
discs has a wiring malfunction somewhere that I have not been able to
fix. Thus my recordings have a signal on the left channel; only, and
a "noise" on the other channel. In SoundEdit 16 (a package that I
have abandoned after discovering Amadeus) I would double click the
signal - copy - and paste it into the "noise channel. In Martin's
more elegant solution I convert the recording to "mono" and then
convert it to "stereo" which eliminates the track without a signal.
Of course this could be a problem if my source recordings were
stereo, but all of the AFRTS transcriptions that I work with are mono.

Jim