Saving to Volumes Folder

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Folsom49er

Saving to Volumes Folder

Post by Folsom49er »

I'm interested in finding out why/how Amadeus Pro allows saving to the /Volumes folder. I had to use Command-Shift-G and type in /Volumes (mixed case) to get to the Volumes folder to remove several sound files I inadvertently saved there, but I was surprised OS X allowed that to happen in the first place. What magic does Amadeus Pro have that allows this?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Saving to Volumes Folder

Post by Martin Hairer »

I'm interested in finding out why/how Amadeus Pro allows saving to
the /Volumes folder.
How did you do that? I just tried and the file saving dialog doesn't
show the /Volumes folder...

Now on the other hand, the /Volumes folder is a folder like any other
and, by default, it gives read/write privileges to every user. So in
principle every program can write in that folder, it's just that the
user interface is constructed so that this wouldn't happen... Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Folsom49er

Post by Folsom49er »

How did I do that? I was hoping you could tell me! :wink:

I believe the sequence went something like this:

I pulled a file off of a CD for editing,

When I went to save a Cut to File excerpt, it brought up the CD which it couldn't write to, so I changed the destination to the Desktop.

I believe then I went to the finder and ejected the CD because someone needed it.

Then when I went back to save another Cut to File excerpt, it apparently had "Volumes" in there instead of Desktop, as I expected. It wasn't until I was saving the 4th excerpt that I realized it said the destination was Volumes.

I still have "Volumes" in my list of Recent Places, so I can promise you that this did happen. But I updated the software right after that, so it wasn't the current version that did this, and I now can't get it to offer Volumes as a destination, though I can pull it up again from Recent Places, not that I'm anxious to save more files in that "Limbo Land."