Marker Hell and Index point support for CD writing

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Sonic Purity

Marker Hell and Index point support for CD writing

Post by Sonic Purity »

Greetings,

New to the forum, yet an Amadeus user since version II 3.0.1 on OS 8.1 a number of years ago.

One aspect of working with audio files that so far has been annoying is the matter of implementing Red Book Index points as sublocations of CD audio tracks. I work with a lot of program material which really benefits from index points, and many family, friends, and others (and myself) with audio CD players capable of seeking to index points on standard CD-DA discs.

So far, i have had to manually place these index points in Adaptec Jam 2.6 or Roxio Jam 5.0.1. Both products claim they will import text and/or numeric markers from incoming SoundDesigner II format files, and indeed in limited tests they seem to do so from an old version of Peak LE. Yet no matter what i do in either Amadeus II 3.8.7 or Amadeus Pro (currently 1.2 beta), i cannot seem to get my carefully placed markers in my Amadeus files to translate into either version of Jam. They are summarily ignored.

Now, if Amadeus Pro’s new CD writing feature supported index points via having the user pick one marker color to be the index point marker, most of my problems would be solved and my workflow improved very nicely (and i would have much less reason to deal with the abominiation that IMO is the current Roxio). So… Feature Request: please consider incorporating support for user-supplied Red Book Index points in Amadeus.

Ideally, there may still be some cases where i may want or need the finesse of Jam. And there is the issue of re-using existing Jam image files in SDII format with Jam’s idea of markers, which i am guessing is the same as Peak’s idea of markers. Therefore i additionally respectfully request that everything reasonably possible be done for Amadeus to successfully preserve markers into and out of SDII format as interpreted by other common software such as Jam and Peak. This will make work for a lot of folks easier, and will make it much easier for folks wanting to migrate away from Peak and Jam and into Amadeus to do so.

I thank Martin in advance both for his ongoing work on Amadeus and for at least considering these points. If anyone here has figured out a way to get Jam to acknowledge Amadeus markers as index points, or if Amadeus Pro handles Index points and i managed to sleep through it, please post here.

Thanks!

))Sonic((
pure plain text for this first post