Feature requests for recording from vinyl

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mirv2

Feature requests for recording from vinyl

Post by mirv2 »

Hi. I have started using Amadeus Pro 1.1.1 (and now 1.2 beta) for recording from vinyl LPs, to add the songs to my iTunes library. Amadeus Pro does an excellent job at recording and saving the music, but it is a bit cumbersome to do some of the mechanics of breaking up and naming the tracks. Here are some specific suggestions for feature requests - perhaps these will be helpful, and hopefully practical to implement too.

- when saving with Split Tracks according to markers, should have a way to generate track number automatically from sequential order of markers. The default for this option could be to start at 1 and go up sequentially. Allow starting at a different number, eg. if you are recording side 2 of an album. It is a pain to enter each track number within iTunes.

- In Split Tracks according to markers dialog, the file type for saving should be remembered so you don't have to select it again for each album.

- recording should allow a time limit, eg. 30 minutes for an album side until automatic stop. Otherwise it fills the disk if you are not right there at the computer when the album side ends.

- When clicking on a Marker, the dialog sheet should contain a "Next" button to take you to the next marker. This would easier than clicking ok, then mousing over to click on the next marker.

- Preference to have the insertion point always be at the playhead. This would avoid having to do cmd-Y before clicking Add Marker when locating the break point between each song.

- Add Marker should bring up the dialog automatically (the one that comes up when you click on the marker). I always need to edit the marker info after adding it.

- In addition to the Horizontal Zoom slider, there should be a button to "zoom to fit"

- In "Markers" window, show the next marker and the duration of time between the two markers. This would make it easy to compare to the track time listed on the album cover to see if you have selected the whole track correctly. I've been using a calculator for this, which shouldn't be necessary.

- Here is a stretch goal: since it is sometimes difficult to get the parameters for Generate Markers to look for silences (you have to play with the silence duration and level), how about running an analysis to show you how many silences there are with various durations to help you make the guesses? For example, it might find that in your album there are exactly 8 periods of silence of exactly 1.5 seconds.

Thank you for considering all of this, and thanks for the excellent software.

--Mark

asacamano

Ditto

Post by asacamano »

I would especially like to have some hints about the periods of silence in the file.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi. I wonder if you've found a way to tag each track and export that information into iTunes?

jammer1

Vinyl recording

Post by jammer1 »

It would be nice, to have this features.
It's booring recording one Lp size, change the meta , mark, rename the marks, split into single files, drag to itunes, add cover and number the songs.

jtarheel

Post by jtarheel »

You can use a timer, under Sound/Record to new File.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap.

RobLewis

Yes

Post by RobLewis »

These are excellent suggestions!