audiobook formats

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Castalia

audiobook formats

Post by Castalia »

Hi,

A couple of things:

1. I recorded a novel with Garageband several years ago and recently edited it with Amadeus and it is now available on Audible. I uploaded 1.35GB of Mp3 files, and they converted those to two .aa files totaling only 226MB.

I want to send would-be reviewers audiobook files or links for my second novel along with the hard copy of the book, but Audible won't even process the files until the book is available on Amazon, so I have find another way to convert Mp3s to the appropriate audiobook format(s). I don's see .aa listed in Amadeus options. Is it under another name? I know very little about this stuff, so all suggestions are welcome.

2. Audible provided free download codes when the book went live to be sent to would-be reviewers of the audiobook. If anyone here would like to review an audiobook let me know and I'll send you a code. Here's the link to the book:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The-E ... 999&sr=1-1

Thanks,

Scott Morrison

supergimp

audiobook formats

Post by supergimp »

I use AudioBookBinder (available in the mac app store) to turn mp3 (and other formats) into audiobook format with metadata and cover art.

Book looks interesting.

Steve

On Oct 16, 2015, at 11:11 AM, Castalia <forum2mail@hairersoft.com> wrote:

Hi,

A couple of things:

1. I recorded a novel with Garageband several years ago and recently edited it with Amadeus and it is now available on Audible. I uploaded 1.35GB of Mp3 files, and they converted those to two .aa files totaling only 226MB.

I want to send would-be reviewers audiobook files or links for my second novel along with the hard copy of the book, but Audible won't even process the files until the book is available on Amazon, so I have find another way to convert Mp3s to the appropriate audiobook format(s). I don's see .aa listed in Amadeus options. Is it under another name? I know very little about this stuff, so all suggestions are welcome.

2. Audible provided free download codes when the book went live to be sent to would-be reviewers of the audiobook. If anyone here would like to review an audiobook let me know and I'll send you a code. Here's the link to the book:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/The-Energy-Caper-or-Nixon-in-the-Sky-with-Diamonds-Audiobook/B00ZJU5S76/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1445017999&sr=1-1

Thanks,

Scott Morrison

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

audiobook formats

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi Scott, as far as I understand, .aa files are basically low bitrate Mp3 or AAC files repackaged in a proprietary container format. If your aim is just to get the filesize down to a similar size, you can lower the sample rate to 22.05kHz and then save the files as 32kbps Mp3 / Ogg Vorbis / AAC files. That would pack about 16 hours into 226MB. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Castalia

Post by Castalia »

Thanks to Steve and Martin for their suggestions. AudioBookBinder works great. Not sure what the ideal settings should be for any given device, but in my tests reducing files in Amadeus first suggest that all the files could be squashed even more.

The original 27 Mp3 files of 1.09GB were changed into one continuous 11:53 minute Mp4 file of 560MB without doing much of anything except dragging and dropping. It even put the cover on the file.

Now that I can do it, I'm offering the free audio prior to releasing the novel in hopes of generating both media and reader/listener prepublication reviews. I've mentioned offering a free Audiobook from Audible of my first novel, The Energy Caper, or Nixon in the Sky with Diamonds. It came out in 2008, but the audiobook just went live a month ago. Last week I received the proof copies of the new novel, Luck of the Draw, which will be sent out to media outlets with the URL for the audio.

Below is some ad copy for the new novel. If anyone here might be into doing reader or listener reviews of either or both novels, or knows anyone who might be, let me know.

Thanks again,

Scott Morrison

Luck of the Draw

An Era that Changed a Nation
From the playgrounds of Little League through the Summer of Love to the last days of the Vietnam war, Luck of the Draw is the story of four people coming of age in a time of political assassinations, civil rights marches, war, peace protests, and sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll.