Synchronize recordings from different microphones

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mandrael

Synchronize recordings from different microphones

Post by mandrael »

Hi!
Is there a tool in Amadeus Pro to help me synchronize the recordings from different microphones? For recording an event I placed a Zoom H2 (XY 90°) near the piano and chorus and a Zoom H6 with XY 90° and a boundary microphone behind the audience.
Now I have 2 stereo and 1 mono-track. Is there an (automatical/manual) aid to join the tracks and balance them?

Thanks for your help!
mandrael

PS: I have the current app store version.

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

For alignment, the old way is very frequently used: A version of the slate clapper. You clap or just locate a strong transient and then slide the waveforms to the correct position.

If you're doing video, it helps to have that in the shot.

You should check the "Plural Eyes" product out as well, even if you are aligning only audio.

The other issue is what sort of alignment you want. Everything around and between the mic's gets moved in time as well.

For very precise adjustments, there are delay plugins, such as Voxengo's free Sound Delay. It has both distance and time increments.

mandrael

Post by mandrael »

Dear JEGG,
thank you for your answer! Yes I tried this classical method, but only could use a spoken word at the beginning, so that I could move the track with the mouse like described in the manual. But this was not very accurate and hard to do:

Code: Select all

changed to maximum zoom and decreased playback-speed to -24, made a marker on sound position on one track as accurate as possible, moved the other tracks to the marker with the mouse till voice sound was at marker, doublechecked with <Cmd> to play all tracks, and repeated moving each track to right position
Are there better controls for moving tracks, like hotkeys? It would be great, if I could move a track during playback of all tracks.
I didn't find a better way in the manual. Mine only works at the beginning of tracks. Is there a best practice for Amadeus Pro for working with multiple tracks?

Thank you for the the tip with SoundDelay & PluralEyes, I'll check this out!
Sound Delay: I guess I better use the AU-version.

mandrael