recorded sound is choppy

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

druther4d

recorded sound is choppy

Post by druther4d »

I have an iMac running Mavericks. Using Soundflower I tried recording a sound track (an interview) from a radio station website. The first five minutes of the recording were fine, but beyond five minutes, the voices became choppy and difficult to understand. The same thing happened in a second try. Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes? Thanks.

Jim Edgar

recorded sound is choppy

Post by Jim Edgar »

You might make sure that you have your iMac set so that it will not sleep.  Under SYSTEM Preferences, click on Desktop & Screensaver, then select Screensaver.  You'll see a button for "Hot Corners".  Whenever I'm recording, I set the mouse in the upper right, which in my settings disables the screensaver.  Of course, you could set it so that it never comes on.  

You should also check SYSTEM Prefs under "Energy Saver" - I have mine to "Never" for both. 

Unless you have a Time Machine backup that was scheduled during the time you were recording, those would be the two likely culprits.

Hope that helps,

- Jim

Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com) - @jimedgarvoices
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com  -  http://about.me/jimedgar

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM, druther4d <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
I have an iMac running Mavericks. Using Soundflower I tried recording a sound track (an interview) from a radio station website. The first five minutes of the recording were fine, but beyond five minutes, the voices became choppy and difficult to understand. The same thing happened in a second try. Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes? Thanks.

druther4d

recorded sound is choppy

Post by druther4d »

Thanks for the reply. I had anticipated those items you mention - energy saving settings, time machine, etc.

Fortunately, I found that the problem disappeared when I tweaked the IO Buffer Size in Preferences/Sound/Advanced Settings. It had been set at the minimum of 512 and I set it to the maximum of 6144. I don't understand it technically. It sounds too simple, but it worked.

JEGG

Re: recorded sound is choppy

Post by JEGG »

druther4d wrote:Thanks for the reply. I had anticipated those items you mention - energy saving settings, time machine, etc.

Fortunately, I found that the problem disappeared when I tweaked the IO Buffer Size in Preferences/Sound/Advanced Settings. It had been set at the minimum of 512 and I set it to the maximum of 6144. I don't understand it technically. It sounds too simple, but it worked.
The most likely culprit was the computer (or AP) running out of incoming audio data, rather than the computer running out of resources. That is suggested by a higher buffer size fixing the problem after your other measures had not. Not a certainty, though, buffers affect performance within and between applications as well, which do have to do with computer resources.

A buffer is a temporary memory area used when transferring data between devices or applications operating at different speeds.