Amadeus Pro running on MacBook Air?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mudhen

Post by mudhen »

A clerk at the Mac store informed me that I should get the MacBook Pro retina if I was going to be using a program such as Amadeus Pro. The files I edit are frequently longer than two hours.

Can anyone here advise me if Amadeus Pro is working well on large files on the MacBook Air with Mavericks?

dinojrx

Post by dinojrx »

Hi,

AP is running very well on MBA. You don't need the Retina for working. Most important for performance is the disk speed and this is on MBA also very good as well as the CPU is powerful enough. I'm using an old MacBook Unibody and work on files longer than one hour.

Best

--
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Am 23.05.2014 um 03:23 schrieb mudhen <forum2mail@hairersoft.com>:

A clerk at the Mac store informed me that I should get the MacBook Pro retina if I was going to be using a program such as Amadeus Pro. The files I edit are frequently longer than two hours.

Can anyone here advise me if Amadeus Pro is working well on large files on the MacBook Air with Mavericks?

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

JEGG

More..

Post by JEGG »

Mudhen: Please don't use that clerk again!

In addition to the good advice above, I recommend that you work on smaller files. Everything will be faster (the temp files will be huge with a big recording), and remember they can be rejoined with sample accuracy after the fact, if you want to put everything back together into one file. Markers can be easily renumbered if required.

You may at times run into a few problems with files that large, not due to AP, but some other applications may be very picky with various constraints relative to file types, size, and length. If that happens, that is easily remedied by going back to AP and simply saving differently.

BTW, I'm using the very first generation of Mac Intel's, which is pretty backward and limited by today's standards. If you consult the Activity Monitor, you'll see that AP imposes a very light load on the CPU. Plugins, of course, may be a very different matter. Still, you will have no problems with anything newer than 8 years!

mudhen

Post by mudhen »

Thank you both for your excellent advise.
JEGG, I have since learned to spot the far-away look in the eyes of clerks who only want to talk about the machine of their own dreams. :wink: