Supress NON-continuous background noise?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

patricknew

Post by patricknew »

I'm working on editing an 8 track recording of a show, and I'm wanting to know if there is an easy way to remove background noise from each track. For example, in my vocal track, in the back ground, you can quietly hear the drums, orchestra play. If I could supress any noise below a certain dB, I think that it would work, but I can't find a way to do it. Any help?

MrEes

Post by MrEes »

If you mean that instruments bled onto the vocal track[s], use a noise gate on the
vocal track which will essentially automate muting of the vocal track when levels
are below your threshold.

--
Michael Rees,
composer &c.

patricknew expressed with much marked refinement of phraseology:
I'm working on editing an 8 track recording of a show, and I'm wanting to know if
there is an easy way to remove background noise from each track. For example, in
my vocal track, in the back ground, you can quietly hear the drums, orchestra play.
If I could supress any noise below a certain dB, I think that it would work, but I
can't find a way to do it. Any help?

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

You could try taking the orchestra and drum tracks, inverting them,
lowering the level and adding to the voice track. It might help.

Chuck

On 4/25/13 3:07 AM, patricknew wrote:
I'm working on editing an 8 track recording of a show, and I'm wanting to know if there is an easy way to remove background noise from each track. For example, in my vocal track, in the back ground, you can quietly hear the drums, orchestra play. If I could supress any noise below a certain dB, I think that it would work, but I can't find a way to do it. Any help?

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

Patrick-Do I understand correctly that the extraneous sounds occur not only "between," but along with and under your vocal?

If so, this is known as "bleed," and generally the idea is to use it to advantageous effect. It has the ability to glue together and make a recording more natural. For this to happen, generally you need to pan your sources to where they physically were. If not, bleed *will* be a problem because the sources and bleeds will be time smeared and dynamically mismatched. (When the time element is mastered, you can start manipulating things: for example, having the direct sound of one microphone offset 10 or 20 ms after the bleed of the same in a different microphone. You can use time and bleed to move things forward and backward in the image-it's another way to achieve balances. You can choose one solo mic (maybe the vocal) or a pair of stereo mic's as a time reference.

To answer your question, there are ways to remove bleed and room tone with sophisticated third party applications. It's not easy in that it requires more than a little experience, and it is situationally dependent. It's not a part of any common workflow.

When recording, select mic's with the appropriate patterns and pointed properly to get the sound you want. Often, this means pointing the null of a mic at a non wanted sound as much as it means pointed towards a desired sound. Of course, proximity is a large factor. Microphones are often chosen for the quality of their off axis behavior-IOW, whether they produce uncoloured bleed.