Adding a translation track

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

normloomer

Post by normloomer »

I have a concert recording that contains some between-songs commentary in German. It happens that we have a young man staying with us right now who is fluent in English and German, and I would like to be able to have him add an English translation track to the recording (much like simultaneous translation at the UN).

It may be obvious how to do this, but I am strictly a novice at using audio-editing software. What I would like to do: Create another track (I know how to do this). Have my translator listen to the German track and record the English translation on the other track at the same time. Is this possible?

-Norm Loomer

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

It depends a little on the signal path you have.  With a number of hardware microphone/mixer/monitor systems, you can get "latency" - where you are hearing what you are recording, but it is delayed.  This can be disconcerting to record with.  For voice work, I'm usually monitoring with headphones at the A/D converter.  If I use the software "Pass through" my recorded voice comes back a syllable or two afterwards.

The simplest way I've found is to position the cursor a few seconds ahead of where you want to record, then use the command "Record to New Track",  This lets you hear the recorded info while still monitoring the input signal. 

Hope that makes sense,

- Jim
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com)
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Norm Loomer <loomern@ripon.edu (loomern@ripon.edu)> wrote:
I have a concert recording that contains some between-songs commentary in German. It happens that we have a young man staying with us right now who is fluent in English and German, and I would like to be able to have him add an English translation track to the recording (much like simultaneous translation at the UN).

It may be obvious how to do this, but I am strictly a novice at using audio-editing software. What I would like to do: Create another track (I know how to do this). Have my translator listen to the German track and record the English translation on the other track at the same time. Is this possible?

-Norm Loomer

JEGG

Re: Adding a translation track

Post by JEGG »

normloomer wrote: I would like to be able to have him add an English translation track to the recording (much like simultaneous translation at the UN).
Assuming your audience for this recording would be English:

Try it concert broadcast or newscast style. Just record the English translation (you can make some practice runs) so that the length is no longer than the spoken German (Shouldn't be difficult with German!). Preferably, it should be a little shorter. Then the English is simply put over the German, which is considerably lower in volume. That would be perfectly adequate and usual practice.

More refined:
Fade down the German after the first word or phrase (before the English begins) and up for whatever follows the English-at least the last word if not more.

Phrase after phrase translation (UN style) is not common for broadcast (or recordings) of news nor concerts. Ducking up between English phrases is also generally not done.

How to: Add another track for your English commentary sections-and use the level envelope (or whatever it's called) to fade the German down and English up and the beginning of the English commentary, and then vice versa at the end.