Great noise reduction individually; how to I do it batch?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

w0lver

Great noise reduction individually; how to I do it batch?

Post by w0lver »

I have a lot, 1000s of files that all have a background hum. I tried filtering out the 50Hz and 60Hz and that doesn't help. So I opened an individual file, sampled the noise and suppressed it. Sounds great. The issue is, how do I approximate that noise reduction in batch? Everything I tried ether makes the audio sound muddy, adds an echo, or doesn't work.

Thanks for the help, a bit of a newbie when it comes to audio.

Ross

mrboma

Post by mrboma »

Unless the background hum is identical in each file (for example: multiple files from a single recording session), you wouldn't want to do a batch suppression. Each room has its own ambient sound that shows up in the background. Not only that, but every electronic component (mic and preamp) has a tiny bit of internal noise. Unplug your mic from your preamp and record 10 seconds of "silence" and you will notice a very slight amount of hum being recorded from the preamp itself. Using the sound profile from one room and one set of equipment to try to filter the noise from another will result in distortion. Good post production will remove most of the hum from each track on a CD (but not always), so if these are files from a CD, you might be able to get one ambient sound signature for each CD. However, CDs are often recorded over time, in multiple places, and may use multiple equipment combinations, so each track may have its own ambient sound signature (especially if the CD was made from an older analog recording). In other words, you will probably get the best results going file by file. Sorry.