Sample Rate Question

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

todayforever

Sample Rate Question

Post by todayforever »

Hi All,

Hope someone can help. I am using Amadeus Pro to transfer some 32Khz long play DATs to computer. Signal path is DAT deck>SPDIF>UA-1EX (set to 32khz)>Amadeus pro on a Mac Book Pro (also set to record at 32khz).

My question is: does Amadeus resample the audio to 48khz at any point like Audacity does? I can’t seem to find a definitive answer to this online. I notice that Amadeus will allow me to change settings from 32khz and still capture the audio, which suggests to me that something is resampling on the fly. However, if I ensure that the UA-1EX and my capture software are all set to 32khz, will any resampling take place, or will the signal stay at 32khz from DAT through UA-1EX to Amadeus (i.e. a bit perfect copy)? Why will Amadeus let me change the project rate to 48khz and still record a digital signal with no (audible) distortion?

Apologies for the convoluted nature of the question, hope it makes sense!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Sample Rate Question

Post by Martin Hairer »

My question is: does Amadeus resample the audio to 48khz at any point like Audacity does?
Not if the device and the target file have the same sampling rate.
Why will Amadeus let me change the project rate to 48khz and still record a digital signal with no (audible) distortion?
In such a case, it would resample on the fly, since this is the desired behaviour in pretty much every case.
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

todayforever

Post by todayforever »

Thanks Martin - I assumed this was the case.

Thanks also for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.