update to 2.0 Is this a joke??

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Eddie

Re: update to 2.0 Is this a joke??

Post by Eddie »

Martin Hairer wrote:If you wish to receive the discount coupon, please contact me off-list.
Thanks for the offer Martin, but I'll pass.

shinratdr

Re: update to 2.0 Is this a joke??

Post by shinratdr »

Eddie wrote:Which brings us to the third editor, Amadeus Pro. As Martin wrote last month, "if anyone you know doesn't own Amadeus Pro yet, now would be a golden opportunity"
There was no indication that version 2 was coming out, or that it would be a paid upgrade.
Eddie wrote:In contrast, when there's a paid upgrade and/or a new version of an application coming out, developers usually disclose this information. For example: "If you purchased ScreenFlow via the Mac App Store (or on the Telestream website any time after 3/15/11, or as part of the recent MacLegion bundle) you will get the upgrade to ScreenFlow 3 free."
Maybe that's one reason why ScreenFlow has such a positive reputation.
Eddie wrote:Is it reasonable to expect a paid upgrade and a new version a month after the software developer writes "if anyone you know doesn't own Amadeus Pro yet, now would be a golden opportunity"?
I don't think any reasonable person would have expected a new version and an upgrade fee weeks after that statement was written.
Bingo. I don't care if there was a discount code or significant changes, and I don't care if it's an upgrade fee of $5, $10, $20, $40 or $1000. What I don't appreciate is being treated like an idiot. Did you develop Amadeus Pro 2 without informing yourself, Martin? Because if not, then you know EXACTLY what you have done and your flippant attitude towards being called out on your blatant money-grab just makes things worse.

There is an honest way to submit your app to a bundle when you know you have a major version coming very soon. You inform the bundle organizers and work out a deal. This is what Telestream chose. There is also a dishonest way. Hide it from both the bundle organizers and users, spring it on them weeks later, and act like it's no big deal. This is what HairerSoft chose. Can anyone guess which one will get positive word of mouth?
Martin Hairer wrote:The reason why I could not send the voucher to the MacLegion users is that, since they did not purchase anything from me and never signed up to receive any information from me, I would have fallen foul of anti-spam rules.
You couldn't have asked MacLegion to send it to their users for you? I call BS. Not that it makes a difference, a discount doesn't do it. It's not about the cost, it's about participating in a bundle honestly. I refuse to support your clear attempt to fleece a large group of new users for upgrade fees. You also screwed over MacLegion and tarnished their reputation with your actions, a group of people that have been nothing but extremely helpful.
Eddie wrote:There's a difference between making a sale and creating a happy customer. In this case, a sale was made. Whether or not these people remain customers (using and recommending Amadeus Pro to others) will depend on Martin's response.
This is very true, but I would go further and say that participating in a bundle like this is a complete waste that negates even the sales. The best thing a bundle does is put your software in the hands of influential users at a low price so that they grow to like it and recommend it to others. Not only will I not be doing that, I will most likely end up costing you sales and pointing colleagues towards alternatives because of this.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

update to 2.0 Is this a joke??

Post by Martin Hairer »

You couldn't have asked MacLegion to send it to their users for you?
I did and they refused to do so. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

gsbe

Post by gsbe »

Expectations are a little high for a $60 audio editor, no? You certainly can't please everyone.

Martin- I hope that you have received more positive feedback than negative with your new release. Expectations are impossible to meet sometimes! Thus, the life of a developer that also has to do customer service. :(

Thanks for the new release.