Center the default location of markers in waveform?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Ambassador Zot

Post by Ambassador Zot »

Is it possible to center the default location in the application window when the Playhead position snaps to markers within a file with the “Option + rt. arrow” keystroke combo?

I am creating audio books. I read my content and record the audio using my USB microphone. I use Amadeus Pro v1.5 with its application window opened across the entire width of my 24” monitor.

Of course, as I read, I inevitably mispronounce the occasional word or phrase.

When that happens, I immediately hit the Tab key to insert a marker to indicate the location of the error in the file, but I continue reading. I look backwards within my written text, and immediately re-record the portion of the audio that needs to be redone.

When I am finished with the recording session, I save, then I zoom into a portion of the opened file in the application window. I usually display approximately 40 to 60 seconds of the waveform, but that varies, depending on how much detail I need to see within the waveform.

To make my first corrections, I need to cut out the incorrect portion of the audio in front of the location of each marker in the file.

To access the first marker in the file, I use the keystroke combination “Option + right arrow”, which places the playhead at the next marker in the file.

At this point, ideally, I would like the marker to be displayed in the middle of the application window, and therefore also in the middle of the displayed portion of the waveform.

If this were the case, the portion of the waveform to be removed would be displayed to the left of the marker, and the portion of the file that is to be retained would be immediately to the right of the marker.

The area of concern would be centered, and I would have room to see both the “problem area” and the entire “correct area” of the waveform. I could select and play either section of the waveform to verify where the cuts needed to be made.

But this is not the situation.

The program always jumps to a location in the waveform that places the playhead at the marker location, but far to the right side of the application window. By default, the marker, and therefore the Playhead also, is about 80% to the far right side of my screen.

This is not an ideal location because I like to begin the edit by hitting the space bar to play the audio beginning from the marker insertion point. This allows me to hear the first few words of the corrected audio.

I can then look at the waveform to the left of the marker and often make a good guess about where to reposition the playhead by clicking w/ the mouse, and then listen to an earlier portion of the waveform, to verify that I have found the beginning of the area that needs to be removed.

Having ample room on both sides of the marker insertion point by default is a much more convenient for the way that I use this feature.

To repeat my question:
Is it possible to center the default location in the application window when the Playhead position snaps to markers within a file with the “Option + rt. arrow” keystroke combo?

Thank you.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I see what you mean. You are right, this would probably be a more expected behaviour. At the moment, you can work around this by hitting command-shift-J after moving to the correct location. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Ambassador Zot

Post by Ambassador Zot »

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out for me. That will work just fine. Obviously, I wan't aware of that shortcut.

If you agree, if this were incorporated as a new default response, I'd prefer it.