Previews of Presets in the LP/78rpm Equalizer Not Working

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

cegreen

Post by cegreen »

Hi Martin,

I'm still running Mac OS 10.4.11 on a Mac Pro (I'm updating soon). Would this have an effect on the functioning of the preset previews?

If not, do you have any suggestions for troubleshooting the problem?

Thanks,

-Chris

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi Chris,
I'm still running Mac OS 10.4.11 on a Mac Pro (I'm updating soon). Would this have an effect on the functioning of the preset previews?
It shouldn't, but to be honest I now have only one old laptop that would still run 10.4, so I haven't tested it on that for a while. What happens exactly and does the preview work with other functions? Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

cegreen

Post by cegreen »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the fast reply.

First, with all of the other effects I've used, Preview seems to work fine.

I have been playing some more with the LP/78 Equalizer, and have discovered an unexpected behavior that is repeatable using different files, after restarting the app, and after restarting the Mac.

Here's what I've found:

a. Open a new AIFF file

b. Open the LP/78 Equalizer, which defaults to the last preset used

c. Click Preview

d. The button changes to blue, but absolutely nothing happens. There is no playback.

e. Click on Apply

f. The current preset is applied to the file without a problem

g. I can now either Undo the application or not, but regardless, Preview now works perfectly for all of the LP/78 presets.

h. I can subsequently open and close the LP/78 Equalizer, undo any preset that was applied, preview and/or apply any other preset, and do as many operations with it as I like, and Preview continues to work perfectly.

i. UNTIL, that is, I close the file and open another one (or re-open the same one). Then, once again, the LP/78 Preview doesn't work until after I've applied a preset. Then all is well again.

Weird. At least I now know how to get the functionality I need.

-Chris

cegreen

UPDATE

Post by cegreen »

Hi Martin,

Here's an update:

1. LP/78 Preview: I have played with the Preview function of the LP/78 Equalizer some more this morning, and have discovered that there is a much simpler distinction between it and the Preview in other effects than what I described yesterday afternoon.

That is, the Preview in the LP/78 Equalizer only works when some or all of the file is selected. The Preview in all of the other effects works even when nothing is selected. So this is not a big deal, although the behavior is inconsistent with the other effects.

2. LP Preset Values: A new issue has come to light: In many of the LP presets, the values in the three fields seem to have been inconsistently transposed.

For example, the LP/Angel preset has the following values: Lo Bass: 2,700; Bass: 50; High: 500. The LP/EMS has the following values: Lo Bass: 2,700; Bass: 50; High: 375.

It looks to me like the Capitol and the three Decca presets are correct, but the Angel, EMS, Bartok, and Oiseau-Lyre presets are incorrect.

These values, of course, are easily adjusted, but you may want to take a look at them.

3. Feature Request: It would be very helpful to have a Bypass checkbox on the LP/78 Equalizer window.

4. Intended Use of the Presets: Yes, I realize that each of these presets is intended to be used only on a specific species of recordings, and is not intended to be applied to just any recording.

However, as a newbie, I've found the ability to adjust the three values, and to hear the resulting effect, as well as the effect of RIAA De-emphasis has been a very helpful learning tool.

Regards,

-Chris