New to Amadeus & Mac - Dumb Question #2

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mildsyd

New to Amadeus & Mac - Dumb Question #2

Post by mildsyd »

First: I'm thrilled. I purchased my AP license & am impressed / pleased with what i'm seeing so far (after just a few moments...) Excellent work & thanks for patient & instructive replies to my dumb questions.

Background for DQ#2:
As noted, I capture audio from the web & other app-resident sources; AP currently cannot do that alone (particularly for OS X 10.6, Snow Leopard). HairerSoft & this forum reference JackAudio & Soundflower as solutions.

AP's manual includes instructions on installing & using Jack -- focused on using with iTunes (as opposed to Safari & other apps) -- but does not mention Soundflower...

Jack OS X site & manual are fairly technical (or I'm not smart enough), so I get nervous. Soundflower's site offers virtually no detail...

Here's DQ#2:
Can the community here suggest a preference? Does one of these free add-ons work better than the other? Is one more technically difficult / complicated than the other?

Please recall: New to Mac & conditioned to be nervous by decades of Windows / PC experience. At this point, primarily interested in being able to capture audio from the web...

Thanks in advance for assistance & patience...

mildsyd

mildsyd

Post by mildsyd »

ok... so i bit down on the nervousness & picked one...

when i downloaded soundflower, i saw that it came with an "uninstall" facility and figured i could just back away from it if it turned out to not work well.

it also came with specific instructions for how to use the app for the purpose i described above.

installation was straightforward. set-up to record via AP through soundflower was easy. shazam! evidence that it was working properly included AP's bouncing VU meters and the sound coming out the speakers when i checked the playthrough button.

don't know if jack is a "better" app or not, but soundflower works just fine for me!

thanks, all.

mildsyd

p.s.: by the way, martin... great app, great documentation, great forum, great effort on your part. over the past couple of days, i've spent some time in all of them and am very impressed. AP has quickly become another of the jewels of my new-to-Mac experience. definitely worth twice the license price. thanks a lot!