Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I equalize the volumes of two speaking voices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: How do I equalize the volumes of two speaking voices? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm recording interviews over a phone line. My voice is always strong and clear, but the volume of the person who is interviewing me is not as strong.

Is this a problem that can be corrected using Amadeus Pro or is it another software or plugin?

Thanks, Jemel
rfwilmut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, make a copy and work on that in case you don't like the results.

With your file open in APro, from the Effects menu choose Audio Units>Apple>AUPeakLimiter

Set the top slider (attack time) towards the left: set the 'release time' slider hard right. Press the Preview button and move the 'pre-gain' slider to the right until the blue meter in the 'limiting amount' readout flashes up when you speak but not when the other end speaks, or at least not much. When you think you've got it right, press 'Stop' and then 'Apply'.

The result will peak to 100% level and I would suggest using 'Normalize' to reduce peaks to about -4dB.
Jemel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

This is an excellent tutorial, rfwilmut Very Happy

I see I will have to experiment to get it just the way I want it. But with my quick run through, I get it!

Many thanks,
Jemel
Wizardgold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Levelator Reply with quote

Save the file off as a a AIFF or WAV file and drop it onto the levelator application which is free. Works a treat and easy too...
Jemel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Levelator Reply with quote

Wizardgold wrote:
Save the file off as a a AIFF or WAV file and drop it onto the levelator application which is free. Works a treat and easy too...

Can you clarify, please, Wizardgold, do you mean to save file as a AIFF or WAV file immediately? In other words, do this as an alternative to the process suggested above rather than in addition to it?

Thanks,
Jemel
rfwilmut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Levelator Reply with quote

Jemel wrote:
Wizardgold wrote:

Can you clarify, please, Wizardgold, do you mean to save file as a AIFF or WAV file immediately? In other words, do this as an alternative to the process suggested above rather than in addition to it?

Thanks,
Jemel

This would be an alternative to what I suggested - basically, though I've not used it, I would assume that Levelator simply automates the process I describe or at least its effect.
Wizardgold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Levelator Reply with quote

It is instead of the above - Levelator works with AIFF and WAV files only

Levelator is good in that it normalises and does something else too to enhance the whole file.

Many people recommend it and I have used it many times.

If you are adding music to your sound then I suggest to do the levelating before the music.
Jemel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Levelator Reply with quote

Excellent, Wizardgold

I downloaded it last night and did a test and noticed the difference. It is very smart software.

Thanks,
Jemel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: