Problems burning directly from Amadeus Pro

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

bascom

Post by bascom »

I created several coasters yesterday when Amadeus failed to burn tracks properly onto a CD. I had several AIFF audio files that I combined into one file for burning using the Sound -> Join Files option. Each file was properly separated by an index mark upon joining. I did some final editing and saved the file. Total play time was under 10 minutes, and there were 4–5 tracks in each file (I had two different files I was using to create two separate audio CDs).

Three problems appeared when the burn finalized:
  1. The CD name and track names were horribly wrong.
  2. The last track did not show up on the CD.
  3. The second to last track was truncated, with a play time of 6 seconds total.
I am using a full paid version of Amadeus Pro v.1.4 on a 1.5 GHz G4 PowerBook running OS 10.4.11

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

The CD name and track names were horribly wrong.
Since it has come up a few times, I just included that one in the FAQ <file:///Users/hairer/Sites/HairerSoft/AmadeusPro/AmadeusProFAQ.html#cdnames
;-)
The last track did not show up on the CD.

The second to last track was truncated, with a play time of 6
seconds total.
Bizarre, I'll check on that one. Are you sure that you placed the
markers correctly? Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

bascom

Re: Problems burning directly from Amadeus Pro

Post by bascom »

Martin Hairer wrote:Since it has come up a few times, I just included that one in the FAQ
Thanks. That makes sense. I wasn't able to check on another computer that doesn't have iTunes. The Finder may pull info from iTunes, which is maybe why it showed up wrong on the desktop too. Not every CD did that, but some do.
Bizarre, I'll check on that one. Are you sure that you placed the
markers correctly?
I actually didn't move the markers. They were all created automatically during the Join Files process.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

OK, the version at <http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/
AmadeusPro.zip> fixes that problem. If you don't want to bother
downloading it, one workaround is to simply add one last marker at the
very end of the document.

Please let me know if this still doesn't work as expected. Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

doctorD

CD Text from AP doesn't show up in my CD-Player

Post by doctorD »

So I created a CD from AP following the procedure in the manual - naming the markers with the name of the songs, etc, burning the CD from AP.

When I put the CD into my car CD player, it didn't show any title information for the CD. It did initially show the song names but when a song was playing, it did not show the name of it (said it was missing), nor could I return to get the list of song names.

Any idea of what's going on. How standard is the CD-Text anyway. The little research I've done on it suggests that there are two places where the data can reside on the CD.

Any thoughts? The text in the AP FAQ really doesn't address this issue.

:?:
DoctorD

Sonic Purity

Re: CD Text from AP doesn't show up in my CD-Player

Post by Sonic Purity »

doctorD wrote:So I created a CD from AP following the procedure in the manual - naming the markers with the name of the songs, etc, burning the CD from AP.

When I put the CD into my car CD player, it didn't show any title information for the CD. It did initially show the song names but when a song was playing, it did not show the name of it (said it was missing), nor could I return to get the list of song names.

Any idea of what's going on. How standard is the CD-Text anyway. The little research I've done on it suggests that there are two places where the data can reside on the CD.
CD-Text is not standard at all, AFAIK, unless things have changed since i looked into it years ago. There were two competing "standards", which as you have already read, store the information in two different places. I think one place was the lead-in area, and the other in the subcode area for the actual tracks. I do remember that the two methods were incompatible: a given system/player worked with one, but not the other.

I also know that Amadeus’ abilities in this area come directly from what Apple provides as part of the CD writing infrastructure. Amadeus Pro uses the Apple infrastructure that comes with OS X, so most bugs/problems likely belong to Apple, as with most feature requests.

When this thread started, i was doing some testing of the CD writing features. At that time, CD-Text was operating correctly on the one (1) CD-Text capable machine to which i have access, with the then-current version of AP (1.4.1?), which tells us little. (I had, and still have, many ideas regarding suggested fine-tuning and improvements of CD features that i plan to propose here and have us all discuss, for Martin to consider. Personal commitments are giving me enough time to occasionally post here, yet not enough to dig into sharing my ideas. I keep hoping to carve out some time for AP sooner than later. We’ll see.)

In my very limited testing so far, both with AP and a vast number of other CD writing programs a couple of years ago, CD-Text has either worked correctly or failed totally. I've assumed that the cases which failed totally (not AP) were using the "other" system for CD-Text. What you describe is new to me, and i don’t know what to make of it. Unfortunately, it is not likely to be possible to figure out where the problem lies without your doing a bunch of testing, ideally making CDs from a number of different CD writing packages that claim to support CD-Text, and finding out what your car player does. The items i tested a couple of years ago were what VersionTracker had at that time for freeware/trialware audio CD writing software for the Mac. Most of them used the same Apple code that Amadeus Pro uses, though some used something else. Now that i think more carefully about it, there were some subtle differences in CD-Text results between some of these, including different programs using the Apple Code. If you try some that use the Apple code and find that some do correctly display CD-Text on your car player, then there may well be something that Martin can do. If none of the ones using the Apple CD writing code produce proper CD-Text, then that would be an issue with either or both of the Apple code and/or your car player’s implementation of CD-Text.

Apologizing for so many words with so few hard, useful facts,
))Sonic((