macOS Sierra

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

tokyofan

macOS Sierra

Post by tokyofan »

Just upgraded to macOS Sierra and although AP works it's quite buggy. Any upgrades in the pipeline? Thanks!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

macOS Sierra

Post by Martin Hairer »

I am not aware of any bug in version 2.3.1 (in particular none specific to Sierra). Are you running that version? If yes, could you please describe in more detail what bugs you encountered? Thanks,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

lustenbe

Post by lustenbe »

Exporting AIFF files only works with a workaround: currently it creates a folder with the same name as the file you want to create and fails. Fortunately it also creates a temporary file that can be renamed after deleting the folder. (All this under the latest Sierra version)...

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

macOS Sierra

Post by Martin Hairer »

Thanks. I just tried to reproduce this and it seemed to work fine for me, so there seems to be something specific that you are doing which causes this behaviour. Could you please give details on how exactly you manage to trigger this bug? Also, how large is the file you're trying to create? (In particular, is it larger than the 2GB limit for AIFF files?) Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

jeremy Jones

maxOS Sierra

Post by jeremy Jones »

Just upgraded to 10.12 - Sierra and can not properly process sound files. After a restart the first file processes as before, but after the system opens the second file it "freezes" with the error message about an inconsistent process.

What can I do about this ?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

macOS Sierra

Post by Martin Hairer »

Please upgrade to version 2.3.1. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

lustenbe

Post by lustenbe »

I am having trouble with 2.3.1 to save a file directly to a NAS (QNAP) after processing. Amadeus creates a temp file plus a set of folders, but is not able to replace the existing file... The problem can be circumvented by manually deleting the old file and renaming the temp file to the correct name. Tedious but doable...

mattspringer

2.3.1 very slow on Sierra

Post by mattspringer »

Just used Amadeus Pro with Sierra for the first time and updated to 2.3.1 as requested. Processing like normalization or even exporting to AIFF is taking several minutes for an album-length file that took just a few seconds before. Like I have to walk away and do other things for 5 minutes. This is Sierra 10.12.2, update from just last week; does Amadeus 2.3.1 need an update to keep up?

mattspringer

Post by mattspringer »

Hmm, I continued digitizing records today and the problem was gone for a few hours, then came back later in the day. I am not sure what my computer is doing differently at those times, but I've never noticed this behavior before. Everything was slow yesterday; when the problem returned today, it was normally the Normalization that would hang; progress bar starts racing from left to right and it says something like 2 seconds, but then it slows down and hangs about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way through and takes a few minutes to get to the end.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

macOS Sierra

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, I am not aware of this problem and am unable to reproduce it on my copy of Sierra (10.12.3 beta). Could you please provide precise step by step instructions (ideally with sample file) allowing you to reproduce the problem systematically?
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

macOS Sierra

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, here's another idea. Next time this happens, could you please open the Activity Monitor (or rather open it beforehand) and check whether Amadeus actually uses up any significant CPU power when this happens. Also, while it blocks, could you select it in the list of active processes, hit the "info" button at the top of the activity monitor window, and then hit "Sample" at the bottom of the window that opens and send me the result of this action? This might give me a clue of what's going on. Best wishes,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

mattspringer

Post by mattspringer »

Thanks, the step by step instructions are that I digitize a record with a line running from my stereo through an iMic USB connection into my MacBook Pro (Retina 15 inch late 2013), collect both sides of the album, stop recording, save as .amad or .aif (made no difference to the problem so I'm using .aif), then run "change pitch and speed" to compensate for my inaccurate turntable followed by "normalize) and then save and close. The steps of saving, pitch/speed, normalize, and saving and closing all used to take no longer than about 20 seconds. The first day, saving and normalize each took several minutes. The second day in the morning, everything was fast and zippy, then in the afternoon, saving was still fast but normalize would hang. I don't have time to run the activity monitor idea just yet but can send you the result when I do; is there a direct e-mail I should use?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

macOS Sierra

Post by Martin Hairer »

is there a direct e-mail I should use?
Please use martin@hairersoft.com. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

mattspringer

Post by mattspringer »

I actually used the e-mail link already; did you receive it?

mattspringer

Post by mattspringer »

For anyone with a similar question to mine, Martin Hairer correctly surmised that Amadeus Pro was using an external drive for the location of temp files, which came as a surprise to me because the only external drive is my Apple Time Capsule wirelessly connected for Time Machine back-ups, which should be irrelevant. Nonetheless, going to Amadeus Preferences -> Temp files revealed that "Time Machine Backups" was the volume selected for temporary files, because the "Always use volume with largest free space" box was checked by default. This means that when a Time Machine back-up is running, the drive is connected and Amadeus uses it for the temp file location, slowing things to a crawl.

I unchecked that box and selected my hard drive. The problem didn't go away immediately; I had to quit Amadeus Pro and then re-open the application, and then Normalize zipped along in a few seconds just like the good old days! So anyone with an external drive connected for any reason should uncheck that box. I've suggested that this box not be checked by default in the future.

Thanks Martin, you really came through on this!