observations with respect to presets on the effects rack

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

Okay,

I have five instances of the parametric equalizer stacked up in the effects rack and each instance has its own frequency Q and gain settings. At least, that’s how I set it up. Now, I saved a preset for that. However, it would appear that the rack presets do not recall the individual settings of each instance of the Apple parametric equalizer. In orer to make the chain work correctly, I have to do this.

1. Open the effects rack and navigate to the top instance of the parametric EQ. Manually set everything by hand or recall saved presets which I designated from inside said EQ. This after pressing the button just to the left of the top instance.

2. Once the top instance has been set, I switch back to the window and navigate down to the second instance and press the button just to the left of it and invoke the settings I want to take effect for the second instance.

I go down as described above until I have all five set up. Then, and only then, will the equalizers chain function correctly. Is this how the rack is supposed to behave or are the saved presets supposed to recall settings for each instance of a plugin in the stack?

Also, it seems that presets don’t remember individual settings for the Izotope 2 noise reduction plugin either. One final detail to bear in mind. In prefs/advanced, I have the “Use generic settings� checked.

Thanks.

Sent from my Mac, The only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-in

Sincerely, The Constantly Barefooted Ray
Still a very happy Mac, Verizon Wireless iPhone6+ and Apple TV user!!!!!

Garth Humphreys

Post by Garth Humphreys »

Hi Ray

So, are you saying that after saving a preset with all the versions of the audio unit set up the way you want, when you next go to use it it has not saved all the presets for each instance of the audio unit? I have not had this issue however have only had one instance of each AU.

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Aug. 2016, at 2:43 pm, Ray Foret jr <rforet7706@comcast.net (rforet7706@comcast.net)> wrote:

Okay,

I have five instances of the parametric equalizer stacked up in the effects rack and each instance has its own frequency Q and gain settings. At least, that’s how I set it up. Now, I saved a preset for that. However, it would appear that the rack presets do not recall the individual settings of each instance of the Apple parametric equalizer. In orer to make the chain work correctly, I have to do this.

1. Open the effects rack and navigate to the top instance of the parametric EQ. Manually set everything by hand or recall saved presets which I designated from inside said EQ. This after pressing the button just to the left of the top instance.

2. Once the top instance has been set, I switch back to the window and navigate down to the second instance and press the button just to the left of it and invoke the settings I want to take effect for the second instance.

I go down as described above until I have all five set up. Then, and only then, will the equalizers chain function correctly. Is this how the rack is supposed to behave or are the saved presets supposed to recall settings for each instance of a plugin in the stack?

Also, it seems that presets don’t remember individual settings for the Izotope 2 noise reduction plugin either. One final detail to bear in mind. In prefs/advanced, I have the “Use generic settings� checked.

Thanks.

Sent from my Mac, The only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-in

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

Yes, that is exactly correct Garth. It just ain’t working for me. Unless I’m doing something wrong which I cannot imagine what it could be but not out of the question.
Sent from my Mac, The only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-inSincerely, The Constantly Barefooted RayStill a very happy Mac, Verizon Wireless iPhone6+ and Apple TV user!!!!!
On Aug 29, 2016, at 1:13 AM, Garth Humphreys <ghum01@gmail.com (ghum01@gmail.com)> wrote:
Hi RaySo, are you saying that after saving a preset with all the versions of the audio unit set up the way you want, when you next go to use it it has not saved all the presets for each instance of the audio unit? I have not had this issue however have only had one instance of each AU.

Sent from my iPhone
On 28 Aug. 2016, at 2:43 pm, Ray Foret jr <rforet7706@comcast.net (rforet7706@comcast.net)> wrote:
Okay,I have five instances of the parametric equalizer stacked up in the effects rack and each instance has its own frequency Q and gain settings. At least, that’s how I set it up. Now, I saved a preset for that. However, it would appear that the rack presets do not recall the individual settings of each instance of the Apple parametric equalizer. In orer to make the chain work correctly, I have to do this.1. Open the effects rack and navigate to the top instance of the parametric EQ. Manually set everything by hand or recall saved presets which I designated from inside said EQ. This after pressing the button just to the left of the top instance.2. Once the top instance has been set, I switch back to the window and navigate down to the second instance and press the button just to the left of it and invoke the settings I want to take effect for the second instance. I go down as described above until I have all five set up. Then, and only then, will the equalizers chain function correctly. Is this how the rack is supposed to behave or are the saved presets supposed to recall settings for each instance of a plugin in the stack?Also, it seems that presets don’t remember individual settings for the Izotope 2 noise reduction plugin either. One final detail to bear in mind. In prefs/advanced, I have the “Use generic settings� checked.Thanks.Sent from my Mac, The only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-inSincerely, The Constantly Barefooted RayStill a very happy Mac, Verizon Wireless iPhone6+ and Apple TV user!!!!!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi Ray, this looks like a bug. Currently, the AU Rack is not supposed to allow more than one instance of the same AU, but this can indeed be bypassed if you control the UI with the keyboard as you do. I will look into this and fix it in version 2.3. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

In which case, is there no way to chain five instances of the parametric equalizer so that all five occur either at the same time or sequentially without having to save the file first then open up a batch process?

Thanks.

On Aug 29, 2016, at 4:18 PM, Martin Hairer <Martin@HairerSoft.com> wrote:

Hi Ray, this looks like a bug. Currently, the AU Rack is not supposed to allow more than one instance of the same AU, but this can indeed be bypassed if you control the UI with the keyboard as you do. I will look into this and fix it in version 2.3. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Garth Humphreys

Post by Garth Humphreys »

Okay, so this was a bug? I wish it was not so, that is, it would be a nice feature. Trust another Voice over user to come up with an unsupported solution. Sorry Ray.
On 30 Aug 2016, at 10:17 AM, Ray Foret jr <rforet7706@comcast.net> wrote:

In which case, is there no way to chain five instances of the parametric equalizer so that all five occur either at the same time or sequentially without having to save the file first then open up a batch process?

Thanks.

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

No matter. Martin has indicated he intends to address this: now, if I interpret Martin correctly, this means that we will in fact soon be able to stack five or any number of instances of any plugin (the parametric equalizer) for example, set each instance with it’s own individual settings and have this stacked chain savable as a preset. And this virtual stack could be instantly recalled at will and all five instances each with their own established settings as they were calibrated at the time of the preset being saved would exicute either all at the same time or else sequencually one after the other until the entire stack was done. Talk about increasing efficiency of work flow that would b huh?

So, Martin, would it in fact be possible to work this up as I’ve described?

In the meantime, Garth, I have found that it seems to go best if I check the “use generic controls� check box, go in and save presets for exact frequency, Q and gain and then, uncheck the generic control box. Have to do it this way because the noise reduction plugin I use does not behave itself with the generic controls checked.

PS. Recently, you saw me discussing about the A.O.M Stereo Imager D plugin. I bought a one-year license to test it and found out something very important that Voice OVer users will need to know if they want to have any hope of licensing the plugin after they pay for it.

On Aug 31, 2016, at 4:32 AM, Garth Humphreys <ghum01@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay, so this was a bug? I wish it was not so, that is, it would be a nice feature. Trust another Voice over user to come up with an unsupported solution. Sorry Ray.
On 30 Aug 2016, at 10:17 AM, Ray Foret jr <rforet7706@comcast.net> wrote:

Thanks.

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, could you please try out the version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip ?

That bug in the AU Rack should be fixed there
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

Martin, the rack is a perfect dream come true now. Feels just like using a paragraphic UI but even better. Individual settings are fully preserved in each of the five parametric equalizers in the stack. Many thanks for getting on this and fixing it!!!

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.

On Sep 3, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Martin Hairer <Martin@HairerSoft.com> wrote:

Hi, could you please try out the version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip ?

That bug in the AU Rack should be fixed there
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, glad to hear it works well for you now. By the way, you might also want to have a look at the AUFilter Audio Unit which is basically a high-shelf filter, a low-shelf filter, and three parametric equalizers rolled into one. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

Thanks. BTW, been experimenting more with the rack. Looks like each of the parametric equalizers in the stack are remembering their own settings, but, running in to a problem. According to Voice Over, I can select all five instances in the stack, but, only the bottom most instance gets exicuted. Generally, I select by using the shift+up or down arrow or I can select non sequentially and that looks like it works, but, actually, only the bottom most instance gets acted on. Any thoughts?

On Sep 3, 2016, at 3:49 PM, Martin Hairer <martin@hairersoft.com> wrote:

Hi, glad to hear it works well for you now. By the way, you might also want to have a look at the AUFilter Audio Unit which is basically a high-shelf filter, a low-shelf filter, and three parametric equalizers rolled into one. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

You are right, that was a bug. I've updated the version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip

hopefully it works now. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

I’ll give it a go and get back to yuh. Again, thanks.

On Sep 4, 2016, at 5:53 AM, Martin Hairer <martin@hairersoft.com> wrote:

You are right, that was a bug. I've updated the version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip

hopefully it works now. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

You might want to download a fresh copy (build 1694) from that link. The previous build you downloaded contained a bug which caused many of the basic built-in effects to have no effect... Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

That’s interesting. I checked my browser history for the link and cannot find it. This morning, I downloaded what looks like built 1691 and it seems the effects bug is not there anymore: but, would you resend the ink again so I can really be sure?

Thanks.

On Sep 4, 2016, at 9:05 AM, Martin Hairer <martin@hairersoft.com> wrote:

You might want to download a fresh copy (build 1694) from that link. The previous build you downloaded contained a bug which caused many of the basic built-in effects to have no effect... Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft