Will there be compatibility with 'MacOS Sierra' OS X 10.12 ?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

houthakker

Post by houthakker »

This is clearly an excellent app, and the sonograms would be particularly useful to me.

Before I buy it, can I ask whether it's looking feasible to prepare a version that will work with the next operating system ?

(I notice that the current MacOS Sierra beta builds (10.12 Beta (16A269f)) are crashing Version 2.2.2 (1640) of Amadeus Pro)

Thanks !

Houthakker

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi,
Before I buy it, can I ask whether it's looking feasible to prepare a version that will work with the next operating system ?

(I notice that the current MacOS Sierra beta builds (10.12 Beta (16A269f)) are crashing Version 2.2.2 (1640) of Amadeus Pro)
Yes, there will be a Sierra compatible version as soon as possible after Apple releases Sierra's GM build. The version at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip

should work on the current developer build of Sierra. The only known problem at the moment is when saving documents to a networked volume, but this appears to be a bug on Apple's end which I expect them to fix.

If it still causes problems on your machine, could you please send me instructions on how to reproduce the crash so that I can fix it? Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

houthakker

Post by houthakker »

Thank you !

Version 2.3 (1680) is now working well with 10.12 Beta (16A286a)

( and I've just bought a license :- )

Rob

jerrykrinock

Post by jerrykrinock »

Yes, anyone experiencing crashes and freezes with Amadeus Pro 2.2.2 in macOS 10.12 should download the 2.3 beta from Martin's post. Problems solved.

Good job, Martin!

jhhl

Post by jhhl »

Thanks for the update ; I've been running Sierra for a few months and Amadeus ' previous version has not been happy!

flipphillips

Post by flipphillips »

I will check the beta- I'm having weird, idiosyncratic crashes with the most recent sierra beta, largely on startup or when opening files with other files already open.

Just a 'heads up', since I can't reliably repeat these. And, as said, will check the beta.

jhhl

Post by jhhl »

I'm finding that even with version 2.3, the sonogram has a tendency to freeze and crash.
I also have a 192Khz/24 bit .wav file that it can't read, but I'm not sure if the old version could either!

flipphillips

Post by flipphillips »

Can confirm @jhhl's experiences. Just locked up on me / internal error with sonogram up.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I'll check on that, thanks for letting me know. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

RRettke

Post by RRettke »

FYI Martin I am having strange behavior at various points in my workflow. Now that I know how to reach you I will gather documentation. My current work around is to force quit and restart, it then runs ok for a couple of audios and gets flakey. I know that is a useless explanation but I will gather doc and get it to you and look for patterns, The one area I know is problematic is splitting an audio on the sound menu. It works but has issues. AP is crucial app in my workflow once a month so I am motivated to help get it ready for the GM release.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, can you still reproduce this issue with the latest build of Sierra (16A313a)? I have been unable to reproduce it.

@jhhl: would you be able to share a Dropbox link to the file you cannot open so that I can look into this? Thanks,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

jerrykrinock

Post by jerrykrinock »

I must correct my previous post to concur with others. Although it seems to be much better than 2.2 which was completely unuseable, Amadeus Pro 2.3 (1680) is still raising exceptions, or more often most controls becoming unresponsive, in Sierra 16A313a. If I figure out how to reproduce I shall post details.

For the last couple weeks I was sure that touching the Horizontal Zoom control in the lower-right corner of a document window was a sure way to make it fail, but today I'm able to drag that thing back and forth repeatedly with no trouble.

By the way, when it becomes unresponsive, it's not the classic behavior. There is no beachball. As I recall, ⌘S to save still works. And it still plays. But the play head does not move, and trying to select audio or move the play head does not work. Also, when I say raising exceptions, I mean you get that new dialog in the system with button choices to "Crash" or "Continue", etc.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Here's an update with some thoughts on this.

1. This seems to be somehow related to graphics. As some of you noticed, it is sometimes
triggered by zooming in / out of the file. Also, when it happens, using exposé to switch between
desktops causes strange glitches all over the screen that hint at a problem with the graphics
card drivers. In particular, this implies that Apple is at least partly to blame for this since whatever
bug a user space program contains, the operating system should not allow it to cause these kind
of glitches.

2. I have reported the issue to Apple through their bug reporting tool. I have not heard back from
them yet, but there is a possibility that this is simply a bug in the preview of Sierra that will be fixed
for the release version (or the next point update after that).

3. Even when I run Amadeus Pro in the debugger, this problem does not cause Xcode to break into
the debugger, which again hints at a bug in the operating system. It also means that even if this is
triggered by a bug in Amadeus Pro, I currently have no way whatsoever to figure out where this bug
is located. I have asked Apple for code-level support on how to debug this issue, but since it only
occurs on a beta version of macOS, they refuse to provide this support. Looks like I'll have to wait
until the official release of macOS Sierra to do anything about it if it doesn't get fixed by Apple by then.

Lastly, I am regularly updating the preview version of Amadeus Pro 2.3 at

The current build is 1694. (See the "About Amadeus Pro" dialog.) Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

Ray Foret jr

Post by Ray Foret jr »

Now running version 2.3 (1694) and rack work flow is now perfect.

Sent from my Mac, The only computer with full accessibility for the blind built-in

Sincerely, The Constantly Barefooted Ray
Still a very happy Mac, Verizon Wireless iPhone6+ and Apple TV user!!!!!
On Sep 6, 2016, at 4:26 PM, Martin Hairer <Martin@HairerSoft.com> wrote:

Here's an update with some thoughts on this.

1. This seems to be somehow related to graphics. As some of you noticed, it is sometimes
triggered by zooming in / out of the file. Also, when it happens, using exposé to switch between
desktops causes strange glitches all over the screen that hint at a problem with the graphics
card drivers. In particular, this implies that Apple is at least partly to blame for this since whatever
bug a user space program contains, the operating system should not allow it to cause these kind
of glitches.

2. I have reported the issue to Apple through their bug reporting tool. I have not heard back from
them yet, but there is a possibility that this is simply a bug in the preview of Sierra that will be fixed
for the release version (or the next point update after that).

3. Even when I run Amadeus Pro in the debugger, this problem does not cause Xcode to break into
the debugger, which again hints at a bug in the operating system. It also means that even if this is
triggered by a bug in Amadeus Pro, I currently have no way whatsoever to figure out where this bug
is located. I have asked Apple for code-level support on how to debug this issue, but since it only
occurs on a beta version of macOS, they refuse to provide this support. Looks like I'll have to wait
until the official release of macOS Sierra to do anything about it if it doesn't get fixed by Apple by then.

Lastly, I am regularly updating the preview version of Amadeus Pro 2.3 at

The current build is 1694. (See the "About Amadeus Pro" dialog.) Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft

jhhl

Re: Will there be compatibility with 'MacOS Sierra' OS X 10.

Post by jhhl »

Martin Hairer wrote: @jhhl: would you be able to share a Dropbox link to the file you cannot open so that I can look into this? Thanks,

Martin
Hi Martin - I was still having crashes, so I updated to the latest Sierra and the latest (1712) Amadeus, and it hasn't crashed while playing with the Sonogram window after a few tries - which is a good thing, because it used to happen almost immediately!
So - it's a lot better and may be stable again! (my cautious remarks after a few minutes of testing)
Thanks!