No playback through USB audio interface

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

CK

Post by CK »

Just recently I notice that I get no playback through my USB audio interface. I can record into Amadeus, but when I play it back, the sound only comes through the onboard speakers of my Mac, and not through the USB audio interface. Yes, I've checked the option for input / output in preferences. I'm not new to this, so I'm wondering if this is a bug problem of sorts. It only just started happening recently. Anyone else had this problem?

Colin

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

It would be helpful to know which USB interface. 

Have had no such issue with FocusRite A/D or Rode USB mic.

When you say you've checked option for input/output - was that inside Amadeus only?  There are really three places you can lose the audio: System Prefs,  Inside the Program (Amadeus Pro) and Audio MIDI Setup.   It only seems to rarely be the third (Applications->Utilities->Audio MIDI setup). 

I've noticed the Mac can switch the audio routing if I'm swapping the A/D USB while everything is turned on. So - it happens occasionally on my travel rig, but never on my studio setup, where everything is always plugged. 
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com) - @jimedgarvoices
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com  -  http://about.me/jimedgar

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 1:49 PM, CK <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Just recently I notice that I get no playback through my USB audio interface. I can record into Amadeus, but when I play it back, the sound only comes through the onboard speakers of my Mac, and not through the USB audio interface. Yes, I've checked the option for input / output in preferences. I'm not new to this, so I'm wondering if this is a bug problem of sorts. It only just started happening recently. Anyone else had this problem?

Colin

CK

Post by CK »

Hi Jim
Thanks for the reply.

I'm using an Allen & Heath ZED Sixty 10FX mixer which is equipped with USB audio interface. It also happens when I use a Zoom H4n as audio interface. I'm using a mid 2015 Macbook Pro on El Capitan OSX 10.11.4

I've checked those three places, which I had already checked. It's just the weirdest thing. I also use Garage Band and am trialling Sony Sound Forge Pro. Both immediately pick up the audio I/O through the mixer. Even when I unplug, and then plug back in multiple times, Garage Band and Sound Forge reliably switch the audio routing through the mixer.

I just can't figure it out.

Colin

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Weird... Have you tried trashing the prefs? (~/Library/Preferences/com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro.plist)
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

CK

Post by CK »

Hey guess what...
It fixed itself. Well maybe not completely by itself. In the preferences within Amadeus, I selected the onboard sound for the output, and then selected the USB audio interface again. That seemed to solve the problem. Not a very technical solution, but hey, after this many years mucking about with computers, nothing surprises me.
All is forgiven.
Colin

Fatheart

Post by Fatheart »

Sorry about resurrecting an old post, but this issue must still come up

Four hours of trying to get audio to the midi interface but could only get onboard sound. Every other audio source on the Mac worked, even the speaker test in Amadeus prefs, just not audio files in a sound document. Tried all the output selections in Amadeus, Mac Prefs and Audio/Midi setup. I must have gone through them 20 times... Apparently not ONCE did I select USB AFTER Internal Speakers.
AND I was field mixing 2 radio spots on headphones in somebody elses room. ( Didn't have the cables to go from audio out to ins ...Long story...don't ask)

One go with your method... joy.

I wonder how the spots sound through the monitors.
Thanks