Can't figure settings for Audible audiobook

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Castalia

Post by Castalia »

Hi,

I am new user of Amadeus Pro 1.5.5 who is trying to format my novel as an audiobook. I did the narration in Garageband and then ran the files through Levelator, but trying to tweek the files in Garageband was extremely difficult. I’ve been working with Amadeus for a couple days and so far it’s great. (I absolutely LOVE the “generate silence” feature!)

However, I have been unable to figure out the setting to output the file to meet two of the specs required by Audible.

1. Each uploaded file must measure between -23dB and -18dB RMS.
2. Each uploaded file must have peak values no higher than -3dB.

The full list of specs is here:
https://www.acx.com/help/acx-audio-subm ... /201456300

I tried the recommendation in the manual on page 22 re. normalizing and setting the Dynamics Processor to 25%, but the resulting waveform analysis didn’t match the Audible specs. I also tried a couple of suggestions I found on YouTube which also did not yeild the right specs.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Morrison

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

What values do you get for your file? Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

FWIW, you don't want to use "Generate Silence" to eliminate breaths or background noise.  The resulting audio will sound very "gated".

As Martin asks, the next step depends a lot on the levels and energy of your audio right now.   You will find that in audiobook production once you dial in your steps for Mastering for ACX, they should be pretty similar for subsequent projects, assuming you aren't changing things in your recording setup.
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com) - @jimedgarvoices
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com  -  http://about.me/jimedgar

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:49 PM, Castalia <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Hi,

I am new user of Amadeus Pro 1.5.5 who is trying to format my novel as an audiobook. I did the narration in Garageband and then ran the files through Levelator, but trying to tweek the files in Garageband was extremely difficult. I’ve been working with Amadeus for a couple days and so far it’s great. (I&#8200;absolutely LOVE the “generate silence� feature!)

However, I have been unable to figure out the setting to output the file to meet two of the specs required by Audible.

The full list of specs is here:
https://www.acx.com/help/acx-audio-submission-requirements/201456300

I tried the recommendation in the manual on page 22 re. normalizing and setting the Dynamics Processor to 25%, but the resulting waveform analysis didn’t match the Audible specs. I also tried a couple of suggestions I found on YouTube which also did not yeild the right specs.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Morrison

Castalia

Post by Castalia »

It's hard to say what "values" I get as every file has come out slightly different. I assume the "waveform statistics" window has the relevant info, but are you looking for the .amad file or the resulting .mp3 file?

I've only worked on five chapters (out of 27) in this novel, but I have a previous novel I recorded seven years ago of 35 chapters. I'd really like to get the outputting right before forging ahead.

Anyhow, here are stats from 3 chapters in amad and the resulting mp3 output. The first one I did using the settings recommended in the manual, the second using YouTube advice, and the third using default settings.

I'd never heard the term "gated" before. I'm pretty happy with the results coming out of my speakers, and everyone who has heard them says they sound as good what they're used to hearing in audiobooks. What should I be doing in lieu using of the "generate silence" command?

Thanks,

Scott Morrison

Chapter 1.amad
Min. sample rate: -.4660
Max. sample rate: .6681
Peak amplitude: -3.5 dB
DC offset: -0.0000
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 29.9 dB
Max. RS powere: 23.5 dB
Clipped samples: 0

Chapter 1.MP3
Min. sample rate: -.4542
Max. sample rate: .6482
Peak amplitude: -3.8 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 30.2 dB
Max. RS powere: 23.7 dB

Chapter 2.amad
Min. sample rate: -.4758
Max. sample rate: .7307
Peak amplitude: -2.7 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 31.0 dB
Max. RS powere: 24.3 dB

Chapter 13.MP3
Min. sample rate: -.4613
Max. sample rate: .7083
Peak amplitude: -3.0 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 31.3 dB
Max. RS powere: 24.6 dB

Chapter 13.amad
Min. RS power -inf dB

Chapter 4.amad
Min. sample rate: -.4698
Max. sample rate: .7769
Peak amplitude: -2.2 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 27.4 dB
Max. RS powere: 21.9 dB

Chapter 4.MP3
Min. sample rate: -.4557
Max. sample rate: .7531
Peak amplitude: -2.5 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 27.6 dB
Max. RS powere: 22.2dB

Castalia

Post by Castalia »

Hi Again,

Mea culpa. Instead of sending three values stats of chapters, I sent an extra. Please ignore the one labeled "chapter 2."

They may seem out of order, but I did Chapter 13 first in Amadeus because it required the most repairs when I did it in Garageband.

Thanks,

Scott

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

When I used "gating" in this instance, I'm referring to an audible shift from the recording level to -inf dB.  This description refers to a "Gate" or "Noise Gate" (used to be hardware devices, now of course mimicked in software) - basically, when the recording level falls below a certain level, the gate "closes" and you get silence, when it comes back up above that level, it "opens" and lets the audio signal through. 

As with any tool, they can be used poorly.  In some instances, audiobook recordings have noise or resonance in the recording. This means that when the Noise Gate opens up, you hear the noise and cruft in the signal which then cuts out entirely in the silence - bringing the listener's attention to both the noise and the silence.  It can be incredibly distracting.  Also, the compression involved in creating an audiobook file will tend to heighten this. 

In the ACX guidelines, they do recommend against using a gate (or the manual equivalent).  Ideally you would have a recording environment with a noise floor below the required -60 db.  Barring that, I would add room tone back into the track which keeps it within spec. 

From the audio analysis, your RMS Average (RS) is too low for spec (supposed to be between -23 and -18, with peaks no higher than -3 dB, so Chapter 4 is too hot).  Adding room tone might bump that Average RMS up a bit, but I suspect you will have to look at stronger compression or even using a Limiter to reduce the dynamic range.  It sounds like everything you've shared is post-processing, so it's hard to know for sure what numbers to suggest.  But, basically, you need to crunch the peaks pretty aggressively and then bring the RMS Average levels up 7 - 8 db - so, first Limit/Compress, then Amplify.  I'd probably take a smaller (but representative) chunk of one chapter and iterate those steps, increasing settings until you get there.

best of luck!

- Jim
Jim Edgar

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Castalia <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
It's hard to say what "values" I get as every file has come out slightly different. I assume the "waveform statistics" window has the relevant info, but are you looking for the .amad file or the resulting .mp3 file?

I've only worked on five chapters (out of 27) in this novel, but I have a previous novel I recorded seven years ago of 35 chapters. I'd really like to get the outputting right before forging ahead.

Anyhow, here are stats from 3 chapters in amad and the resulting mp3 output. The first one I did using the settings recommended in the manual, the second using YouTube advice, and the third using default settings.

I'd never heard the term "gated" before. I'm pretty happy with the results coming out of my speakers, and everyone who has heard them says they sound as good what they're used to hearing in audiobooks. What should I be doing in lieu using of the "generate silence" command?

Thanks,

Scott Morrison

Chapter 1.amad
Min. sample rate: -.4660
Max. sample rate: .6681
Peak amplitude: -3.5 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 29.9 dB
Max. RS powere: 23.5 dB

Chapter 1.MP3
Min. RS power -inf dB

Chapter 2.amad
Min. sample rate: -.4758
Max. sample rate: .7307
Peak amplitude: -2.7 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 31.0 dB
Max. RS powere: 24.3 dB

Chapter 13.MP3
Min. sample rate: -.4613
Max. sample rate: .7083
Peak amplitude: -3.0 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 31.3 dB
Max. RS powere: 24.6 dB

Chapter 13.amad
Min. RS power -inf dB

Chapter 4.amad
Min. sample rate: -.4698
Max. sample rate: .7769
Peak amplitude: -2.2 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 27.4 dB
Max. RS powere: 21.9 dB

Chapter 4.MP3
Min. sample rate: -.4557
Max. sample rate: .7531
Peak amplitude: -2.5 dB
Min. RS power -inf dB
Average RS power: 27.6 dB
Max. RS powere: 22.2dB

Castalia

Post by Castalia »

Martin Hairer and Jim Edgar,

I truly appreciate your informative insights and comments. The suggestions about using compression and limiters is above my pay-grade, so I've booked time with a friend who runs a local studio to help me sort it out.

Many thanks,

Scott Morrison

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

Best of luck Scott!  It _is_ a different set of steps and mindset from the creative/acting part of audiobook work.  I know a lot of other VO's who simply outsource the mastering process.  As long as your recording environment doesn't change (and the performance has the same energy), the steps should remain similar.  Then it's just a question of where your time is best invested.

- Jim
Jim Edgar

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Castalia <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Martin Hairer and Jim Edgar,

I truly appreciate your informative insights and comments. The suggestions about using compression and limiters is above my pay-grade, so I've booked time with a friend who runs a local studio to help me sort it out.

Many thanks,

Scott Morrison