Import audio tracks from a DVD

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

midiw

Post by midiw »

I own a DVD-Live Concert performance by ▶ Chris DeBurgh.

Can I use Amadeus Pro 2.1.6 to import the audio track ?

And if so i need a little bit of help as to how ?

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

Assuming what you have is a "real" DVD and not something from a video cam or movie file stored on a disc:

No, you can't *import* the audio with AP, nor any other audio editor.

Importing from a DVD can be a very long, very complex and multi-step process - see, for example p. 91 from Sept 2014 MacWorld. There are other ways, using HandBrake. Essentially, it involves first ripping the DVD to the computer - no small task. (Unless someone comes along with a quick and easy application - And I hope they do!) something like Toast, etc.

Probably, the easiest - and least time consuming way - is to record the audio in real time as the disc is played on the computer. There is audio recording software that is "application specific," and can record the DVD (and the DVD only) as it plays.

You could also try SoundFlower, but don't know if it's application specific in your instance. Someone can chime in who knows. (And you may not need something application specific, it depends on what you want to end up with.)

Yet another option for playing on the computer is to try going out the headphone and out and back in the line in for computers that have both.

Another easy way, if you have an external DVD player, is to use the line in on the computer (double conversion digitally, but actually it's still excellent). If you have optical digi in, then you can use that.

If you have no line in, you can get something cheap like the Griffin iMic which plugs in to USB.

Amadeus will, of course, will handle all of that.

I hope some of this is of help.
Last edited by JEGG on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

midiw

Post by midiw »

Thank you for your detailed/specific information/help.

Just for greater certainty i bought the DVD of ▶ Chris De Burgh & Band -Footsteps-Live in Concert at my local retail outlet. I just remembered that I could use MDRP which if i remember correctly will in addition to ripping the video can keep a copy of the audio track but that's a lot of audio data to sort thru for a couple of songs i really want.

As you suggest I will simply "play" the DVD and the point of those songs and capture the audio portions using Piezo that i just purchased for another project ( which is fast and dirty live recording ) or Amadeus ( which takes a bit of time to set up and i never seem to get right in live recordings ).

After capturing the segments i want then will use Amadeus to clean up which i do get right.

I recall using SoundFlower years ago and it was a disaster for me because it created havoc with other sound recording applications because i always forgot to disable it before recording in another application.

Thanks for your great ideas/suggestions.

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

Good to see you're on your way.

Use the best quality AAC options in Piezo, unless you really need MP3. Too bad they don't offer lossless, but that would defeat the whole ethos of the application.

Have fun! And thank yourself for not doing it the difficult way!

CP Heaton

Post by CP Heaton »

Won't Audio Hijack do this?
I own a DVD-Live Concert performance by ▶ Chris DeBurgh.

Can I use Amadeus Pro 2.1.6 to import the audio track ?

And if so i need a little bit of help as to how ?

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

No, it will not "import" the audio. This is a very lengthy and complex process, not matter what software you use. It is entirely outside the function of audio editors. Again, we are talking about "real" DVD's, not something where someone has placed "movie" files.

If you want just the audio-it takes far less time to capture it in real time, ideally by direct digital within or from outside of the computer, a Apple lossless file is best unless you want markers - then it's lossless wave - or a nice AAC would serve many people well.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

VLC's “File -> Convert / Stream” function seems to be most appropriate for this.
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

JEGG

Duplicate, Sorry

Post by JEGG »

Dup, sorry
Last edited by JEGG on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

VLC is a product I've heard about but never investigated.

It still operates on the streaming paradigm, though, doesn't it, at least for recording/extracting?

'Still looks like a very useful product and one I'll probably add to my toolbox. One of those things where when you need it, you really need it!

midiw

Post by midiw »

I took a look at VLC's “File -> Convert / Stream” function however it seems to me as if i am going to be streaming audio/video to some url location.

JEGG, your solution of "live" recording is the easiest for me since i have full control of playback from the DVD and setting Piezo to what i call non stop recording makes it simple to edit out what i don't want.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I took a look at VLC's “File -> Convert / Stream” function however it seems to me as if i am going to be streaming audio/video to some url location.
On my version of VLC (the latest one), the “Choose Destination” field has the option to either stream or to save to a file. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

JEGG

Thnx, I'll be looking at that!

Post by JEGG »

Thanks, Martin, I will definitely be looking at that!

midiw

Post by midiw »

Same here Martin will look at that more closely. Thanks for the headsup on using the Convert/Stream function.