Begging for help. Just upgraded to Lion and can't record!

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

clairepegg

Begging for help. Just upgraded to Lion and can't record!

Post by clairepegg »

I upgraded to Lion two days ago, and today is my first session recording since then. (Industrial VO) I can open and listen to files with Amadeus Pro, but when I start to record, I get a spinning beach ball and about a 30 second delay. The recording window then pops up, but appears to not be functioning because no levels are seen moving. I can stop after about another 20 second delay, but there is nothing but a flat line on the recording. I wish I was more computer savvy, but I know the bare basics to record my mono tracks, and I'm way behind schedule. I'd be so grateful for any advice anyone can offer. I'm using a M-Audio Mobile Pre USB preamp that has always worked really well, though before I upgraded to 2.1.5 the software would not recognize it unless I restarted the Mac with the USB plugged in. That's a not my concern now, I just need to get back to recording as soon as possible. Please?
Thank you!

JEGG

sorry, duplicate

Post by JEGG »

sorry, dup
Last edited by JEGG on Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

In Amadeus Menue Bar, Select:

Sound->Record to New File->Source. Set source as computer microphone. Level meters should undulate and you should be able to record.

Be sure to unplug the Mobile Pre from the computer, then restart the computer before trying that.

If this works, then you should investigate issues related to the interface.

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

You upgraded to Lion? So that's 10.7? JEGG gives a good point to determine if the issue is AP or the interface. If the internal mic gives you signal (albeit not usable for this project), then you know where the issue is.

The Drivers listed on the M-audio page seem only to cover through 10.6.8 for that model. I don't know how much of an issue that is.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... ers&f=1032

After eliminating AP as the issue, I would probably reinstall the driver - making sure that the interface is not plugged in until instructed by the software.

Hope that helps!

- Jim

jimedgarvoices.com / @jimedgarvoices

JEGG

Post by JEGG »

And if claire needs a simple new interface, she should just get something cheap and cheerful that is **class compliant,** so no drivers needed.

Drivers are always a hitch when anything - sometimes a very small thing - changes with the OS, and the only company that really commits itself to providing first rate drivers is RME - unlikely to be used by most readers of the forum.

So remember - class compliant - no drivers.

And then - watch out for devices which require you to download an application(!) to run the device in class compliant mode!! That's a wreck, too.