Lost recordings

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Bull

Lost recordings

Post by Bull »

Here's the sequence:

I recorded five + hours of audio using "Sound: Record to New File …". I set the Timer (sometimes to stop after a period of silence, sometimes after an elapsed time).

The recording terminated according to my setting in the Recording dialog "Timer". I wasn't watching when it terminated, so when I revisited AP I saw the "Sound Recorder" box with "Record" selected, the time numerals had stopped at the appropriate point. I've done hundreds of recordings this way, and so far everything is normal.

What I usually do then is click the red button in the upper left corner to close the box, and am prompted to save the recording. I click the "Save …" button, pick a file name and location, and the file is saved.

Twice now I have been multi-tasking and inadvertently his the big red record button instead of the close-box button. I see the timer resume incrementing. I realize I hit the wrong button, which is now a green stop button, and hit it again. Now I hit the close-box button and save the file. It saves very, very quickly. The reason for the fast save is that only the second or two after restarting the recording is saved. The initial five+ hours of recording are gone.

This seems a fairly high price to pay for hitting the wrong button. Is there a way, having restarted and stopped the recording, and realized that I had done it again, to save the initial recording?

Thanks
Wayne Durham

Jim Edgar

Lost recordings

Post by Jim Edgar »

Before you hit the save, click the "Undo"?
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com)
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Bull Durham <durham@vt.edu (durham@vt.edu)> wrote:
Here's the sequence:

I recorded five + hours of audio using "Sound: Record to New File …". I set the Timer (sometimes to stop after a period of silence, sometimes after an elapsed time).

The recording terminated according to my setting in the Recording dialog "Timer". I wasn't watching when it terminated, so when I revisited AP I saw the "Sound Recorder" box with "Record" selected, the time numerals had stopped at the appropriate point. I've done hundreds of recordings this way, and so far everything is normal.

What I usually do then is click the red button in the upper left corner to close the box, and am prompted to save the recording. I click the "Save …" button, pick a file name and location, and the file is saved.

Twice now I have been multi-tasking and inadvertently his the big red record button instead of the close-box button. I see the timer resume incrementing. I realize I hit the wrong button, which is now a green stop button, and hit it again. Now I hit the close-box button and save the file. It saves very, very quickly. The reason for the fast save is that only the second or two after restarting the recording is saved. The initial five+ hours of recording are gone.

This seems a fairly high price to pay for hitting the wrong button. Is there a way, having restarted and stopped the recording, and realized that I had done it again, to save the initial recording?

Thanks
Wayne Durham

Bull

Post by Bull »

Undo what?

Jim Edgar

Lost recordings

Post by Jim Edgar »

I deleted your original email, but I thought you said that you:

- Recorded
- Stopped the first recording and
- Recorded while the first recording was essentially "highlighted", thus overwriting the first recording.

I might be missing something, but if you stop the second recording and use the "Undo" function, that should put you back to the first recording.

I've used Undo even after a save with success.  (Of course, that was in the same session - once you quit or power down, that won't work.)

You might experiment before your next project to see if that applies to your situation.

best of luck!

- J
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com)
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Bull <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)> wrote:
Undo what?

Bull

Post by Bull »

When I asked "Undo what?" I meant that the "Undo" action doesn't apply to such things as "start recording again". It seems you can't un-start something that you have started. Like a lot of things in life.

Many applications let you revert a file to a previous state, but there doesn't appear to be a file in this case, which is my point. The file seems to be gone.

I'm sure to certainty that AP records temp files all the while the recording is proceeding, and I'd like to know if I can resurrect that temp file. Perhaps if I "Force Quit" AP when I notice I've inadvertently resumed recording? AP does a good job of leaving me recoverable files in the trash after a crash, so maybe it will interpret the "Force Quit" as a crash and my previous recording will be saved in the trash.

This problem is 100% repeatable, and you don't have to record five hours on the timer, any length will do. I'll let you know if the "Force Quit" does the trick.

Bull

Lost Recording when using timer

Post by Bull »

After playing around a bit I think I see the problem.

When you make a new recording using menu Sound > Record to New File ... and then record using the Start/Stop button, each time you Start it appends to the file. That is, record a minute, stop, start again, record a minute, yields two minutes of recording.

But if you set the Timer for a minute, record, let it stop, and then start recording again for a minute, you just get one minute, the last one. The new recording is not appended to that recorded made using the timer, it overwrites the old recording, or basically just discards the old recording and starts anew.

Is this the intended behavior? If so I don't quite see the logic of it.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Lost recordings

Post by Martin Hairer »

Is this the intended behavior? If so I don't quite see the logic of it.
You are right, this isn't actually intended, I will fix that for the next release.
Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/