Music minus one X: combinng diverse tracks into stereo

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

IrlSmith

Music minus one X: combinng diverse tracks into stereo

Post by IrlSmith »

I have recordings of four individual voice parts singing the same piece of music and wanted to make a CD with Sop, Alto, Bass on the right track and Tenor on the left. Thus while woodshedding I can dial my own, tenor, voice part in or out of what I hear. It turned out to be a little tricky, so here's the recipe in case others may find it useful.
To make stereo with SAB on left, T on right, from four individual-voice tracks:
1. Open S; *convert to mono if necessary.
2. Add new track.
3. Open A, select all, copy into empty track in S.
4 Repeat 2 and 3 for B.
>> in above, alignment of starting points can be tricky. Starting with the track with the latest start, with the Selection window showing, grab a selection which includes the very beginning (click and drag left). Copy the number from the Stert box, then use Tracks Shift backward, paste text into the box, hit enter.
5. Make sure volumes are set appropriately**; then select the S track and Tracks Merge with next track, twice. There is now a single track with S, A, B.
6. *Convert to Stereo, adjust panning all the way to the top.
7. Open T, convert to stereo, adjust panning all the way to the bottom.
8. Add new track to SAB, Copy All of T and paste into the new track.
9. We now have a single document with one track containing SAB, set to one side, and one track containing T, set to other side. Merge the tracks and you're done.

*Alternate method, fewer steps if the four starting recordings are stereo: as you open each document, slide the panning control all the way Right, except slide it all the way Left for T. Then skip steps 6 and 7.
**I actually leave the volume all the way up but adjust the levels using the Analyze Waveform Statistics and the Apply Amplify + or - to get all the levels to -28dB average rms, which avoids clipping for this particular piece.