Apple Lossless M4a files and batch processor

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Sir Cecil

Post by Sir Cecil »

I've downloaded my first Apple Lossless files from a classical music label. I want to edit and burn these to CD.
If I put them in the Amadeus Batch Processor and convert them into Amadeus files (or AIFF), will I be retaining the maximum possible quality or is there any other step involved? Is there anything I need to be aware of when converting lossless files to Amadeus or AIFF?
I've tried putting the M4a files through the batch processor and converted to Amadeus files and burned a CD, and it seems to work fine, but without having an original CD to compare the sound to, I'm unsure if I'm doing everything right to ensure max quality.

The resulting Amadeus files (after batch processing the M4a files) are very much bigger than the lossless files. For example, track 1 is 10 MB (m4a) and 20.6 (when batch processed to Amadeus file). The last track is 17.6 MB (m4a) and 39.5 (Amadeus). Does this sound right? I'm confused. Is Amadeus "expanding" the lossless files into non-lossless, CD-quality files?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

If I put them in the Amadeus Batch Processor and convert them into Amadeus files (or AIFF), will I be retaining the maximum possible quality or is there any other step involved?
Yes, you will be retaining all information. But why not just burning the CD from iTunes, which is specifically designed for this? Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/