Crossfade functions need some explanation

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Sir Cecil

Post by Sir Cecil »

Perhaps I'm more stupid than I thought, but I can't understand how to get the most from the crossfade functions in Amadeus, particularly the "Crossfade to the left" and Crossfade to the right" variants. Now that Amadeus is available in the App Store and reaching more people of various levels of editing experience, it might be worthwhile to produce a diagram or two about the functions, or at least describe some editing situations where these specific tools might be useful. I was hoping I might be able to use the functions in a similar way to the old Jam 6 crossfade tool, for micro-fading of small glitches or seamlessly editing out very small sections, but the manual is almost devoid of any helpful information about crossfading beyond simply fading out one track and fading in the next.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

Try and experiment.

Simple picture -- take a selection. Crossfade to the left will fade it
with an equal-sized region left of the selection region; crossfade right
fades it with the material to the right.

Create 30 seconds of sound -- sine wave is as good as anything. Put a
marker in the middle and select the first half and "amplify" by 30%. Now
select a point 2 seconds to the right of the marker. Select to the
marker. Now do a crossfade left and I think you will see what happens.

Chuck

On 8/24/11 1:59 PM, Sir Cecil wrote:
Perhaps I'm more stupid than I thought, but I can't understand how to get the most from the crossfade functions in Amadeus, particularly the "Crossfade to the left" and Crossfade to the right" variants. Now that Amadeus is available in the App Store and reaching more people of various levels of editing experience, it might be worthwhile to produce a diagram or two about the functions, or at least describe some editing situations where these specific tools might be useful. I was hoping I might be able to use the functions in a similar way to the old Jam 6 crossfade tool, for micro-fading of small glitches or seamlessly editing out very small sections, but the manual is almost devoid of any helpful information about crossfading beyond simply fading out one track and fading in the next.

Charles D Jonah
Building 200
Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division
9700 S. Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL 60439
630-252-3471 CDJonah@anl.gov

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Thanks Chuck. Also, for short crossfades just for the purpose of making smooth edits, have a look at the "smart editing" function: it does this automatically for you and you can adjust the length of the crossfades in the preferences. This is *much* easier and faster than doing all the crossfades by hand. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Sir Cecil

Post by Sir Cecil »

Thanks for these tips. I'll experiment more with the crossfade functions over the weekend.
I like the Smart Editing feature and the fact it's adjustable, but it's a pity that it's only adjustable via Preferences (as far as I know). Making very small changes to the Smart Edit/crossfade time to suit individual characteristics of the edit is very useful, but having to go to Preferences every time to make the adjustment, then audition and then go back to preferences etc is tedious. A keyboard shortcut to bring up the Smart Edit time adjustment window, or an option to place it in the toolbar would be useful. A worthwhile suggestion for the next update?