update to 2.0 Is this a joke??

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Tonneman

Post by Tonneman »

Not a long time ago I purchased Amadeus Pro.
Now I see the first update of it, and it requires me to pay an additional 39 euro?!?! This is really an outrage!

rfwilmut

Re: update to 2.0 Is this a joke??

Post by rfwilmut »

Tonneman wrote:Not a long time ago I purchased Amadeus Pro.
Now I see the first update of it, and it requires me to pay an additional 39 euro?!?! This is really an outrage!
It's not an update - it's an upgrade. There's a difference. Updates address minor issues and bugs. Upgrades provide new facilities and a general overhaul and it's entirely normal for upgrades to be paid for: this applies to almost every application available.

If you don't want to pay for the upgrade and its extra facilities, stick with the version you have - it works perfectly well and the upgrade isn't compulsory.

Tonneman

Post by Tonneman »

No,

I find it very disrespectfull to let a already paying customer upgrade for that amount of money. It's almost the amount I paid for my current version.

This is really unbelievable

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi,
Not a long time ago I purchased Amadeus Pro.
If you purchased on or after the 1st of April, you should have received
a voucher entitling you to upgrade for $19.99, i.e. just the price difference
between versions 1.x and 2.0. If you qualify and didn't receive the voucher
(maybe it was blocked by your spam filter), please contact me off-list and
I'll send you one.

Regarding upgrades in general, every software company that actually manages
to stay in business charges for major upgrades. It simply wouldn't make any
sense to continue investing work in a project without getting any revenue.
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

Tonneman

Post by Tonneman »

I purchased it before the 1st of April, so no voucher applies.

I agree that an upgrade justifies a fee, but in this case, it's almost like having to pay the same as I did for my current version, and that bothers me a lot. You should enlarge your marktet in order to generate more revenue, but it now seems that you want to peel of the flesh of your current customer base in order to get some revenue.

This will do no good for your brand, I can tell you, squeezing the money out of existing customers.

Any way, I will not upgrade for that large of money. If it was 19,99 than I would consider it. I centainly hope that others like me feel the same way, so your 'revenue policy' won't work.

dinojrx

Post by dinojrx »

I don't think you're on the right way. You work with AP for some weeks. Many of us use AP for years - like me. So for the long time users it's quite normal to get the upgrade (with many nice new features) and pay for it. For you it's a pity, but nobody forces you to upgrade. Take your paid AP 1.5.x and have fun. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

By the way, I don't know it exactly, but AP 1.5 is really old for a piece of software. Compare it to others e.g. Adobe. They upgrade their Creative Suite nearly every year and every time it's very expensive to follow. Or have a look onto the price of other audio editors. You will see, the price for AP is just OK.

Am 22.06.2011 um 11:31 schrieb Tonneman:

I agree that an upgrade justifies a fee, but in this case, it's almost like having to pay the same as I did for my current version, and that bothers me a lot. You should enlarge your marktet in order to generate more revenue, but it now seems that you want to peel of the flesh of your current customer base in order to get some revenue.

This will do no good for your brand, I can tell you, squeezing the money out of existing customers.

Any way, I will not upgrade for that large of money. If it was 19,99 than I would consider it. I centainly hope that others like me feel the same way, so your 'revenue policy' won't work.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

wa9dro@gmail.com

Post by wa9dro@gmail.com »

I have used Amadeus Pro for years. The program is good and the service is great and I really don't mind paying an upgrade price. Sure you got in at the end of a cycle, but, either pay the upgrade, or, don't,.
Keith Reedy
Click the link below to download MP3's of Keith Reedy's music as a gift from Bibles For The Blind.

http://biblesfortheblind.org/download_music.shtml

God gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him. J Hudson Taylor.

On Jun 22, 2011, at 5:31 AM, Tonneman wrote:

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

willc2

Please don't use the update mechanism to push paid upgrades

Post by willc2 »

I was in the middle of getting some work done. The update dialog appeared and I accepted it to get bug fixes like in the past.

Instead of just continuing to work, the program looked like it had lost the license key. This lead to several attempts to diagnose the problem and eventually led me here.

If you want to sell me a new, improved version of your program, please just send an email listing the new features and I will decide based on a careful evaluation of costs and benefits.

I expected the update mechanism to say what it always has: That there was a safe, new version of the program available and that I could continue to focus on getting audio work done, not that it was time to make a purchasing decision about one of my tools.

Thank you for your time.

Will Culpepper
eliolhan.com

blinddog

Post by blinddog »

The message to upgrade was very clear that it was to a new version and would cost $40 US. It also gave the option of not taking the upgrade.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

dinojrx wrote:...Or have a look onto the price of other audio editors. You will see, the price for AP is just OK...
I've checked ;) :
Audacity (Free)
Sound Studio $60 New
Fission $40 New
Wavelab Elements 7 $66 New
Wave Editor $80 New. Often $60 on sale. Not only have there been no upgrade fees in years, but its price has gone down considerably, around 68%.
Twisted Wave $80 New
DSP-Quattro $99 New (for the past few months on sale, 50% off). Cheaper prices for upgrades and crossgrades.
Amadeus Pro 2 $60 New. 50% price increase, plus paid upgrades of $40 or $20 :shock:

I've had DSP-Quattro for about 6 months, Wave Editor for over 2 years, and Amadeus Pro for a month or two.
Neither DSP-Quattro nor Wave Editor have asked for any type of upgrade in the time I've owned their products. When they do, I'll gladly pay. Regarding Amadeus, I'll stay with 1.5.5. I'm not upgrading for $40, $20, or $1.

I find both Wave Editor and DSP-Quattro to be superior to Amadeus Pro. From the description, it seems that Wavelab Elements also falls in this category. I don't recall much about Twisted Wave so I can't offer a comparison, but I remember liking that program.
I do like Amadeus better than Audacity. I have not tried the latest versions of Fission and Sound Studio.

If I had known that Amadeus Pro 2 was just around the corner and that it was going to be a paid upgrade, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

I am really curious why you use three or more different audio editors.

Gerard

Eddie wrote:

<snip>

I've had DSP-Quattro for about 6 months, Wave Editor for over 2 years, and Amadeus Pro for a month or two.
<snip>
I find both Wave Editor and DSP-Quattro to be superior to Amadeus Pro. From the description, it seems that Wavelab Elements also falls in this category. I don't recall much about Twisted Wave so I can't offer a comparison, but I remember liking that program.
I do like Amadeus better than Audacity. I have not tried the latest versions of Fission and Sound Studio.

dinojrx

Post by dinojrx »

Hi Eddie,

first: I'm not connected with AP or Hairersoft. But I like AP very much. For my daily work it's the best solution. So everybody get's what fine for him or her.

Some words about your comparison:

Audacity is not an option in every aspect. It's fine for people who want to build a ring tone or something like that, but it's not for professional work.

Sound Studio: same price, looks very similar, new version out which costs money. Price for upgrade is similar.

Fission: not for professional use, tried it when was searching for audio editor, AP is (in my opinion) much more powerful

Wavelab Elements: only 2 tracks, not usable for people needing more tracks - like me for producing segments and features for broadcast, wavelab full version is $499

Wave Editor: never used

Twisted Wave: never used

DSP-Quattro: never used since now, tried to use demo, demo is not fully functional, can't record sound in the demo!?!?

in addition: Adobe Audacity: very good, very powerful, very expensive, $349

But why you wouldn't buy a software when the upgrade is around the corner? There's nobody forcing you to buy the upgrade. AP 1.5 is fine and powerful. The upgrade is no must. Other software too is upgraded and the programmers take money for that. Why not? Do you work for free? Or do the comparison to a car. Do you get the new model for free if you own the older one?

Regards

Am 23.06.2011 um 12:50 schrieb Eddie:
dinojrx wrote:
...Or have a look onto the price of other audio editors. You will see, the price for AP is just OK...
I've checked ;) :
Audacity (Free)
Sound Studio $60 New
Fission $40 New
Wavelab Elements 7 $66 New
Wave Editor $80 New. Often $60 on sale. Not only have there been no upgrade fees in years, but its price has gone down considerably, around 68%.
Twisted Wave $80 New
DSP-Quattro $99 New (for the past few months on sale, 50% off). Cheaper prices for upgrades and crossgrades.
Amadeus Pro 2 $60 New. 50% price increase, plus paid upgrades of $40 or $20 [Shocked]

Neither DSP-Quattro nor Wave Editor have asked for any type of upgrade in the time I've owned their products. When they do, I'll gladly pay. Regarding Amadeus, I'll stay with 1.5.5. I'm not upgrading for $40, $20, or $1.

If I had known that Amadeus Pro 2 was just around the corner and that it was going to be a paid upgrade, I wouldn't have purchased it.

------------------------------------------------------
Als Yoda noch ganz klein war:
Yoda: "Die andere Seite, dunkel sie ist..."
Yodas Mutter: "Na und? Deinen Toast Du trotzdem isst!"
------------------------------------------------------

Gerard Bik

Post by Gerard Bik »

On june 3rd I bought a MacbookPro, just learned that if I had bought
it on the 6th, the coming upgrade to OSX Lion would have be free.
Such is life in computerland...

Still I'm perfectly happy with Snow Leopard.

Gerard

DavidCB

Post by DavidCB »

[quote="GerardBik"]On june 3rd I bought a MacbookPro, just learned that if I had bought
it on the 6th, the coming upgrade to OSX Lion would have be free.
/quote]

Yes, but since OS X 10.7 is not scheduled to be released until July, there is a month's grace for a free upgrade (and with most developers there is much more than that). With Amadeus Pro, there is none.

David

archinhel

Post by archinhel »

I have to say I'm a bit annoyed with this to put it mildly! I was after a decent sound editor having not long made the move from the dark side, and bought Amadeus Pro as part of a bundle (but primarily for Amadeus Pro). That was only about three weeks ago! And then hey presto, paid upgrade.

Its not good PR, even if the developer thinks it is justified.

Thanks