Magic Mouse problem and suggestion(s)

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Hi Martin,

it has been posted already by someone else, but I think it's worth a separate topic.

There is currently a huge oddity between AP and the Magic Mouse which makes it very difficult to handle AP with it.

At present, the vertical scrollbar gets triggered by an up/down movement with the finger (which is extremely odd and unexpected) while a left/right movement changes the zoom level - and the latter is extremely annoying, because you frequently perform slight movements with the fingertip resulting in extreme changes in the window.

Since the Magic Mouse is a great tool (once you start using it, you will hardly ever want any other mouse - especially moving the window content without "physical" strength of any kind, like a wheel, is incredible) it would be a very good thing if AP could support it properly.

1) The left/right movement just must shift the horizontal scrollbar, it does so in absolutely every application available. Performing a left/right shift in the window by an up/down movement with the finger is a complete no-go, I'm afraid.

2) In a perfect world, I think the up/down movement (i.e. "vertical scroll") should move the vertical zoom. This is not just the intuitive action, it is also a function that needs better support. I often want to scale it up only to see the in/out points of fades. Currently it is a bit troublesome to access the icon only to get 2 sliders where I need to shift one, and then the whole thing again to set it back. Just "blowing it up" with the fingertip and then "shrinking it back" the same way would be great.

However, I guess some folks already got used to the vertical zoom by now... so maybe it could become one of the "hidden prefs"?

So left/right = horizontal shift should become fixed, and up/down should become customizable as a) vertical zoom b) horzontal zoom c) disabled.

Please consider the suggestions, I think it will add great usability - thanks in advance.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

1) The left/right movement just must shift the horizontal scrollbar, it does so in absolutely every application available. Performing a left/right shift in the window by an up/down movement with the finger is a complete no-go, I'm afraid.
The default behaviour is actually the correct one, namely that a left/right movement
causes a horizontal scroll.

The hidden preference "HSInvertScrollingBehaviour" allows you to revert to this behaviour.

Note also that the "pinching" gesture allows you to zoom in / out.
2) In a perfect world, I think the up/down movement (i.e. "vertical scroll") should move the vertical zoom. This is not just the intuitive action, it is also a function that needs better support. I often want to scale it up only to see the in/out points of fades. Currently it is a bit troublesome to access the icon only to get 2 sliders where I need to shift one, and then the whole thing again to set it back. Just "blowing it up" with the fingertip and then "shrinking it back" the same way would be great.
Version 2.0 (to be released as soon as it is approved by Apple) will improve this behaviour
in the sense that the slider at the bottom right of the window can be set to act on the vertical zoom.
Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

MartinC

Re: Magic Mouse problem and suggestion(s)

Post by MartinC »

Martin Hairer wrote: The default behaviour is actually the correct one, namely that a left/right movement causes a horizontal scroll.
Thank you, and shame on me for not looking closer before writing...

I'm afraid that there probably was something damaged here - I do know for sure that I never touched this pref but the behaviour was definitely reversed.

So I typed:
defaults write com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro HSInvertScrollingBehaviour 0

and it still was reversed...

Then I did (just for fun):
defaults write com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro HSInvertScrollingBehaviour 1

...reversed, and finally:

defaults write com.HairerSoft.AmadeusPro HSInvertScrollingBehaviour 0

and now it works correctly!

Probably some corruption in my prefs file, I guess?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Probably some corruption in my prefs file, I guess?
Sounds like it....

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Sorry for waking it up from deep sleep again...

Since I got the Magic Mouse I now worked on a multi-track project for the first time and it wasn't until now that I entirely realized how difficult the behaviour really is...

The odd thing is that the Magic Mouse actually does scroll vertically as soon as the mouse pointer is over either the vertical scroll bars or any "non content" areas of the tracks.

And this really results in a GUI nightmare for me. First of all, In any app and any document once there is actually something for vertical scrolling, you will do it... being used to the Magic Mouse there is no way to keep off, it's like scratching a mosquito bite.

Now if the mouse pointer is located on one of the track bars, and you start moving your fingertip, this is what happens:
1) first the tracks scroll up/down for a few pixel
2) and once the pointer hits the waveform, it starts the horizontal zoom

Please, please, please... consider to add at least an option to turn this entirely off.

I personally dislike the horizontal zoom by an up/down movement at all, it is neither logical nor consistent, and I can't think of any editing where I actually want this. It's something of a gimmick to me that should only perform (if at all) with an extra modifier-key.

By default, the up/down movement should only scroll the tracks vertically, just like left/right movements should only scroll the track horizontally.

Everything else should at least have a way to be turned off if it starts to annoy during the workflow.

If there is a chance to get the "zoom" feature only as an extra (possibly by modifiers) it could be either
- horizontal zoom
- vertical zoom (which, as I stated before, would make much more sense to me)

PS: Hey... what about this (just thought about it while typing):

- plain finger moves will always scroll
- finger moves with some mod-key will zoom:
- left/right with mod-key = horizontal zoom
- up/down with mod-key = vertical zoom

That would be paradise for me... do others agree, or is it a bad idea?