How to avoid lag when recording a new track

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

ranbo

Post by ranbo »

When I record a second audio track, there appears to be a 23ms "lag" between the two tracks. To test this, I recorded some clicks on the first track, then played those through the speaker while recording the second track. About 1ms of lag can be attributed to the speed of sound between the speaker and mic. But the rest is probably some sort of processing/USB/whatever lag.

Some amount of lag is probably unavoidable, and, indeed, it's not as bad in Amadeus Pro as in Audacity (150ms lag there). However, it also seems like the software could have a setting that allows newly-recorded tracks to be automatically shifted back by a fixed amount (or have sound going out the speaker play that much "early" compared to where the recorded samples are being stored). Even cooler would be for the software to play some clicks and "listen" to the response, and auto-calibrate.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

I am assuming you are using a USB device -- there will be delays due to
the input buffers on both the output and the input.

Chuck

On 5/9/11 8:33 PM, ranbo wrote:
When I record a second audio track, there appears to be a 23ms "lag" between the two tracks. To test this, I recorded some clicks on the first track, then played those through the speaker while recording the second track. About 1ms of lag can be attributed to the speed of sound between the speaker and mic. But the rest is probably some sort of processing/USB/whatever lag.

Some amount of lag is probably unavoidable, and, indeed, it's not as bad in Amadeus Pro as in Audacity (150ms lag there). However, it also seems like the software could have a setting that allows newly-recorded tracks to be automatically shifted back by a fixed amount (or have sound going out the speaker play that much "early" compared to where the recorded samples are being stored). Even cooler would be for the software to play some clicks and "listen" to the response, and auto-calibrate.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list

ranbo

Post by ranbo »

Yes, of course. But if the delays are consistent--and they do seem to be--then it should be possible to automatically move all recordings back by that amount (23 ms in my case) so that I don't have to do that manually every time I record.

CDJonah_alt

Post by CDJonah_alt »

It seems possible if the program knows it using doing multi-track
recording and if it knows the time is the same. (I think in many cases
you can change the buffers). Of course, you could just create an action
that inserts 23 ms of silence into the appropriate track at the
beginning and be done with it.

Chuck

On 5/9/11 11:09 PM, ranbo wrote:
Yes, of course. But if the delays are consistent--and they do seem to be--then it should be possible to automatically move all recordings back by that amount (23 ms in my case) so that I don't have to do that manually every time I record.

Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list