Mailing ListMailing List   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will audio keep quality if we upload/download mp3 & edit

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jemel



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Will audio keep quality if we upload/download mp3 & edit Reply with quote

I'm sure there is an easy answer to this question. I have understood that when saving to mp3 and then back to wave or amad or aiff, quality is lost.

Here's the situation: I record and edit on Amadeus Pro using my Mac. My employee is on Windows using Audacity.

We do the file transfer by uploading/downloading to GoDaddy's OnlineFileFolder. For me it's minutes on a fast Mac and dependable high speed Internet connection. For him it's much longer on a slower computer and less stable Internet connection.

I can save as a WAVE compressed and then zipped; that facilitates his download time, but he is not able to save a compressed wave on Audacity. It's also still a rather large file. Incidentally, I even divide a one-hour file into 3 pieces.

Phew!

So, back to my question... instead of the WAVE format, would we get sufficient quality if I save in mp3, zip and upload, and then he downloads and converts to WAVE to edit? Then saves in mp3, zips, uploads? I then must complete the edits adding music, so that's another open into amad.

I hope that's clear. Advice welcome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CDJonah_alt



Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 378

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Will audio keep quality if we upload/download mp3 & edit Reply with quote

Yes, quality is going to be lost and each conversion will make things
worse. The question is, is the difference big enough to matter to you?
If it is a simple podcast where people are going to listen on
no-fidelity computer speakers, there is one answer. If it is an audio
that you expect people to listen to on high-end equipment, there may be
a different answer. If you are primarily sending back and forth spoken
word that you only mix with music at the end, there may be a third answer.

You could try just converting a file several times on your mac without
transferring it and seeing if it becomes unacceptable. (yes, I know
different machines have different converters -- you could do the same
exercise on both machines and see what happens.)

If you are eventually going to create an mp3, you could try creating
intermediates with higher bit rates than the final version.

Chuck

On 9/17/10 8:22 PM, Jemel wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure there is an easy answer to this question. I have understood that when saving to mp3 and then back to wave or amad or aiff, quality is lost.

Here's the situation: I record and edit on Amadeus Pro using my Mac. My employee is on Windows using Audacity.

We do the file transfer by uploading/downloading to GoDaddy's OnlineFileFolder. For me it's minutes on a fast Mac and dependable high speed Internet connection. For him it's much longer on a slower computer and less stable Internet connection.

I can save as a WAVE compressed and then zipped; that facilitates his download time, but he is not able to save a compressed wave on Audacity. It's also still a rather large file. Incidentally, I even divide a one-hour file into 3 pieces.

Phew!

So, back to my question... instead of the WAVE format, would we get sufficient quality if I save in mp3, zip and upload, and then he downloads and converts to WAVE to edit? Then saves in mp3, zips, uploads? I then must complete the edits adding music, so that's another open into amad.

I hope that's clear. Advice welcome.




_______________________________________________
Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list
_______________________________________________
Amadeus forum mailing list
Unsubscribe / change settings at http://two.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/forum_list
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sonic Purity



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 82
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Will audio keep quality if we upload/download mp3 & Reply with quote

CDJonah_alt wrote:
Yes, quality is going to be lost and each conversion will make things
worse. The question is, is the difference big enough to matter to you?
[other excellent advice here]
If you are eventually going to create an mp3, you could try creating
intermediates with higher bit rates than the final version.

Chuck

On 9/17/10 8:22 PM, Jemel wrote:
Quote:
Here's the situation: I record and edit on Amadeus Pro using my Mac. My employee is on Windows using Audacity.

So, back to my question... instead of the WAVE format, would we get sufficient quality if I save in mp3, zip and upload, and then he downloads and converts to WAVE to edit? Then saves in mp3, zips, uploads? I then must complete the edits adding music, so that's another open into amad.


Im guessing that Audacity does FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec), and we know Amadeus does, so that could possibly be another option, especially if the quality has to be top-notch or close.
_________________
))Sonic((
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rfwilmut



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 255

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stick to a reasonably high bitrate - minimum 192kb/s for speech or 256kb/s for music (stereo assumed) - the degradation in quality will be pretty slight and is unlikely to bother most people. You probably might as well go for the highest available - 320kb/s in Amadeus - as this still produces a much smaller file than the original. Bitrates smaller than suggested above will start to introduce audible artefacts.

As to compressing, decompressing and then recompressing, when we had a similar situation where I used to work we came to the conclusion that the second compression didn't do much harm, as the process of removing some sounds had already been carried out, as long as you were doing it using the same method (as you are). It was cascading different compression systems which caused trouble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jemel



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Will audio keep quality if we upload/download mp3 & Reply with quote

Sonic Purity wrote:
Im guessing that Audacity does FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec), and we know Amadeus does, so that could possibly be another option, especially if the quality has to be top-notch or close.


I'm not sure what FLAC does, but I do have Audacity, so I can look it up.

Thanks,
Jemel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jemel



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chuck, that's a great process you have outlined. I'll set up a test.

Thanks, rfwilmut, for the suggestion of increasing the bitrate.

Would I tell my employee to save and work in the mp3 format? I'm not sure if that's possible, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Jemel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rfwilmut



Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Posts: 255

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should do any recording and editing in WAV first, and only compress to mp3 last thing before he sends. It's worth keeping the number of times you compress to the minimum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jemel



Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reporting back that we have run the test.

By comparing, I notice some slight difference in tonality. But since on one else is comparing, the differences don't matter. Laughing

This saves him considerable upload and download time.

Many thanks,
Jemel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.hairersoft.com Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group