How do I equalize the volumes of two speaking voices?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Jemel

How do I equalize the volumes of two speaking voices?

Post by Jemel »

Hi,

I'm recording interviews over a phone line. My voice is always strong and clear, but the volume of the person who is interviewing me is not as strong.

Is this a problem that can be corrected using Amadeus Pro or is it another software or plugin?

Thanks, Jemel

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

Firstly, make a copy and work on that in case you don't like the results.

With your file open in APro, from the Effects menu choose Audio Units>Apple>AUPeakLimiter

Set the top slider (attack time) towards the left: set the 'release time' slider hard right. Press the Preview button and move the 'pre-gain' slider to the right until the blue meter in the 'limiting amount' readout flashes up when you speak but not when the other end speaks, or at least not much. When you think you've got it right, press 'Stop' and then 'Apply'.

The result will peak to 100% level and I would suggest using 'Normalize' to reduce peaks to about -4dB.

Jemel

Thanks!

Post by Jemel »

This is an excellent tutorial, rfwilmut :D

I see I will have to experiment to get it just the way I want it. But with my quick run through, I get it!

Many thanks,
Jemel

Wizardgold

Levelator

Post by Wizardgold »

Save the file off as a a AIFF or WAV file and drop it onto the levelator application which is free. Works a treat and easy too...

Jemel

Re: Levelator

Post by Jemel »

Wizardgold wrote:Save the file off as a a AIFF or WAV file and drop it onto the levelator application which is free. Works a treat and easy too...
Can you clarify, please, Wizardgold, do you mean to save file as a AIFF or WAV file immediately? In other words, do this as an alternative to the process suggested above rather than in addition to it?

Thanks,
Jemel

rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

Jemel wrote:
Wizardgold wrote:Save the file off as a a AIFF or WAV file and drop it onto the levelator application which is free. Works a treat and easy too...
Can you clarify, please, Wizardgold, do you mean to save file as a AIFF or WAV file immediately? In other words, do this as an alternative to the process suggested above rather than in addition to it?

Thanks,
Jemel
This would be an alternative to what I suggested - basically, though I've not used it, I would assume that Levelator simply automates the process I describe or at least its effect.

Wizardgold

Levelator

Post by Wizardgold »

It is instead of the above - Levelator works with AIFF and WAV files only

Levelator is good in that it normalises and does something else too to enhance the whole file.

Many people recommend it and I have used it many times.

If you are adding music to your sound then I suggest to do the levelating before the music.

Jemel

Post by Jemel »

Excellent, Wizardgold

I downloaded it last night and did a test and noticed the difference. It is very smart software.

Thanks,
Jemel