suddenly, i can't play, record or edit file. please help?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

misnoma

Post by misnoma »

the app opens fine, but play/record/editing does nothing. generate silence crashes the app. i've checked and toggled sound in/out (bult-in) settings. I upgraded to 10.6 recently, so I checked audio plugins/HAL folder (empty).

does anyone have any insights please?

temporary file preference shows plenty of free space, though "home" and "net" are listed as 0mb, in blue. what does that mean?

the app works fine, in a very similar software (inc. 10.6), on my MacBook.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

suddenly, i can't play or record

Post by Martin Hairer »

Suddenly I can't play or record. the app opens fine, but the cursor
won't move. i've checked and toggled sound in/out (bult-in)
settings. I upgraded to 10.6 recently, so I checked audio plugins/
HAL folder (empty).

Could you try to start playback, open the Activity Monitor, select
Amadeus Pro in the list of running applications, hit "Sample process"
and send me the report it creates? Thanks,

Martin

HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

baw

Re: suddenly, i can't play, record or edit file. please help

Post by baw »

misnoma wrote:the app opens fine, but play/record/editing does nothing. generate silence crashes the app. i've checked and toggled sound in/out (bult-in) settings. I upgraded to 10.6 recently, so I checked audio plugins/HAL folder (empty).

temporary file preference shows plenty of free space, though "home" and "net" are listed as 0mb, in blue. what does that mean?

I have similar problems to misnoma, except I can't even start Amadeus Pro. I can't start it direct from the Applications folder either. The icon just bounces in the Dock, then eventually stops. I have an Intel IMac and just installed OS X v.10.6.

Thanks,
Ben

baw

Post by baw »

baw wrote:
misnoma wrote:the app opens fine, but play/record/editing does nothing. generate silence crashes the app. i've checked and toggled sound in/out (bult-in) settings. I upgraded to 10.6 recently, so I checked audio plugins/HAL folder (empty).

I have similar problems to misnoma, except I can't even start Amadeus Pro. I can't start it direct from the Applications folder either. The icon just bounces in the Dock, then eventually stops. I have an Intel IMac and just installed OS X v.10.6.

Thanks,
Ben
Oh wait, I can choose Amedeus Pro in the Activity Monitor, even though it doesn't appear to be one of the applications that's actually running (cmd+tab) - weird. I will email you the output of the Sample Process, anyway.

Thanks,
Ben

doctorhuw

Post by doctorhuw »

I have a very similar problem macBook pro 2.66 i7 worked fine on my older MBP I really like this app but I also need it to work every time!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I have a very similar problem macBook pro 2.66 i7 worked fine on my older MBP I really like this app but I also need it to work every time!
Are you sure that you have writing permissions to the temporary files location?
(See the "Temp Files" preferences.) Regards,

Martin

HairerSoft

sromley

Same problem

Post by sromley »

I can open files, and save them in other formats. Can't edit anything. Playback doesn't work. I tried the same files in Quicktime and iTunes. They play fine. Can I load on another machine to see if it's my Mac Pro?

System 10.6.3
Core 2 Quad
4 gigs ram

kineticturtle

Post by kineticturtle »

I'm having essentially the same issue - can open and convert files, I can even edit, but nothing that involves moving the play or record heads works - I can't playback or record, although the icon changes to look as if I'm playing back or recording. The counter will not move.

Using 10.5.8 on a 2.5ghz intel core 2 duo macbook pro with 4 gigs ram

I'm about to send you reports captured while both recording and playing.

Thanks Martin!
matthewjosephpayne.muxtape.com
kineticturtle.blogspot.com

sunshadow

Post by sunshadow »

misnoma wrote:the app opens fine, but play/record/editing does nothing. generate silence crashes the app.
I have similar problem - after I use generate silence, I cannot play or I get the 'colour wheel'.

I was hoping to buy this application, but not if it's this unstable.

Snow Leopard (10.6.3) on a Mac Mini.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi,
I have similar problem - after I use generate silence, I cannot play or I get the 'colour wheel'.
What parameters *exactly* did you enter in the "generate silence" dialog box? I am unable to reproduce this problem. Also, when you get the "spinning wheel", could you open the "Activity Monitor", select "Amadeus Pro", hit "Sample process" and send me the report that it generates? This might allow e to determine why it hangs... Thanks,

Martin

HairerSoft

cjones

Post by cjones »

kineticturtle wrote:I'm having essentially the same issue - can open and convert files, I can even edit, but nothing that involves moving the play or record heads works - I can't playback or record, although the icon changes to look as if I'm playing back or recording. The counter will not move.

Using 10.5.8 on a 2.5ghz intel core 2 duo macbook pro with 4 gigs ram

I'm about to send you reports captured while both recording and playing.

Thanks Martin!
Identical problem: no record/playback functions either through menu or keyboard or controls. This has been sporadic, now permanent. Have downloaded and reinstalled, restarted. Occurs with previously played .wav files (music) student recordings etc. v. 2.05 Amadeus Pro on MacBook Pro2.53 GHz Intel Corei5. Mac OS 10.6.8. Looked at Temp files--2 listings, one for the hard drive w/ masses of free space; one in angry red for Amadeus Pro with 63 MB volume size 22MB free space. No clue what the significance of this is. Amadeus has been a major productivity tool for me...

Update: the above characteristics apply when I'm NOT doing ProTools work. When I'm at my home (same MacBook Pro) but going through an M-Audio interace, Amadeus Pro works fine. Appears that the issue is interference between the two applications (I've checked all the relevant Preference settings) which breaks AP on its own.
Christopher Jones