import to iTunes 08

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

greybeard

import to iTunes 08

Post by greybeard »

I'm having problems importing recorded files to iTunes. I'm transferring vinyl to digital and was hoping that Amadeus Pro would speed things up.

I make a recording, split it at silences using Amadeus and import to iTunes - the multiple tracks appear as one large track.

If I split the tracks into a folder as .mp3 I can drag and drop into iTunes but don't get the folder name transfered. I've read the software instructions and I'm guessing that I don't have the meta data correct.

Can anyone offer advice on the easiest way to get tracks from vinyl into iTunes 08 using Amadeus Pro (latest version).

many thanks
greybeard

broz

Split it into separate files, then...

Post by broz »

Under the sound menu, Split according to markers...
that process will put the files into a folder
in iTunes, create a new playlist
drag the folder of files from the Finder into that playlist
iTunes will import

If you then want to move the files to your iPod, make sure the sound files are compatible with your iPod. Some sample rates are too high for iPod use.

There might be a simpler method, but this is what I use. Once I have the tunes in a playlist, I use a handy AppleScript to add the metadata to the songs.

greybeard

Re: Split it into separate files, then...

Post by greybeard »

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Where did the AppleScript come from?

It sounds useful

broz wrote:Under the sound menu, Split according to markers...
that process will put the files into a folder
in iTunes, create a new playlist
drag the folder of files from the Finder into that playlist
iTunes will import

If you then want to move the files to your iPod, make sure the sound files are compatible with your iPod. Some sample rates are too high for iPod use.

There might be a simpler method, but this is what I use. Once I have the tunes in a playlist, I use a handy AppleScript to add the metadata to the songs.
greybeard

broz

useful applescripts

Post by broz »

go here
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

there are a lot of useful scripts here.

search for cddb

I use a script named "CDDB Tracks to iTunes via Safari" to automatically name and put meta data in sound files. Read his docs for how to make this work. It's pretty easy.
BTW, his script is kinda busted with Safari 4.02 and Leopard 1.5.7. It works, but puts a bunch of html code in with the artist name. It's easy to fix afterwards, but annoying.

broz

venting?

Post by broz »

Exporting the files to iTunes, the way I described in a previous message, seems so simple to me. Why all the venting about Export to iTunes?

This is NOT Amadeus LP Pro and NOT Amadeus Vinyl Pro.

Export to iTunes is not "Export LP to iTunes." Amadeus Pro is an audio editing program. It is meant to record audio from any source of audio. It's not just an LP editing program.

So, what I would expect, is that Export to iTunes would export the sound to iTunes. Which it does. Markers in the sound file are not LP Tracks, or it would say "LP Track". Markers are for marking a spot in the sound.

It is so easy to Split According to Markers, saving the files in the format you like, that I don't see the problem.

As for all the metadata, that work is done for you too, with the AppleScript pointed out in the previous message.

9th, you seem to be making this a whole lot more difficult that it needs to be. I described how to get your tunes into iTunes in five steps. Let's try that again, but with a better description for each step:

1) Split According to Markers...
This will break the sound file into sound files. If you kept your marker names logically named, the order of the tunes will be correct. (marker 01, marker 02, etc)
2) Create a new playlist in iTunes
Yes, a new playlist is necessary. This will keep the songs in the proper order, assuming you kept the marker names set as above. Using a new playlist also enables you to use the handy AppleScript to name the tracks, name the album, add a date, artist, etc to the tracks.
3) drag that folder of files you made when you split according to makers to that playlist. The playlist is right there on the left in iTunes. You named it something appropriate, but that's not critical. iTunes will import. The tracks should be in the proper order (marker 01, marker 02), matching the order the songs were on the LP. If not, make sure you don't have some sort column selected in iTunes, like "Date Added"
4) In Safari, find the album on CDDB.com, navigating the track listing for that album
5) In iTunes, run the AppleScript "CDDB tracks to iTunes via Safari". That will automatically name the tracks and number them. It will then ask you if you want to add album date, artist, etc. Click yes.

done

Optionally, you can now delete the playlist. The songs will still be in iTunes, but under the right album, and artist listing, just like you'd imported a CD. Deleting the playlist just deletes the playlist, not the songs.

And you posted your message several times. Please don't.

Ron Fleckner

import to iTunes 08

Post by Ron Fleckner »

On 20/07/2009, at 5:09 AM, broz wrote:
As for all the metadata, that work is done for you too, with the
AppleScript pointed out in the previous message.
Hmmm... this sounds interesting. Where is the previous message? Not
in this thread, is it? Could you please post a link to this script or
post the text of the script itself?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

broz

AppleScripts

Post by broz »

Yes, the link to those scripts and some notes were in a previous message in this thread.

Ron Fleckner

import to iTunes 08

Post by Ron Fleckner »

OK, thanks.

On 20/07/2009, at 11:38 AM, broz wrote:
Yes, the link to those scripts and some notes were in a previous
message in this thread.

broz

paths and such

Post by broz »

Users->{user name}->Library->Scripts->Applications->iTunes is one place to put the script. That will put the script under the AppleScript menu on the right of the menu bar. It's the global script menu.
Users->{user name}->Library->iTunes->Scripts is where you put the script if you want it to appear in the iTunes AppleScript menu. That's where I prefer it.

These paths have changed as new systems have been released. The above paths are good for Mac OS X Leopard.

I don't use that first script named CDDB because it never seemed to do anything useful for me. I use the script named CDDB Tracks to iTunes via Safari. When I run the first part, it names the tracks and numbers them, etc. Then it asks if I want to add the artist, album name, and stuff. I select all of these items by clicking on the first and shift clicking on the last of the three items. Then I hit OK (or go or whatever the confirm button says).

This will put the rest of the info in the tunes. The artist name has all that html junk around it, so I have to fix that. I actually fixed the script so it would parse the data properly and give me just the artist name. I sent the fix to the author, but have not received a response.

Hope it helps